Sign in to follow this  
Redwing

Only One Strobe Fires

I’m shooting with two Sea & Sea YSD2 strobes with fiber optic cables with a Nauticam  NA-D850 housing.  Only one strobe is firing.  The troubled strobe powers up fine and the focus light works.  The battery compartment and non-used 5 pin sync cord compartment are dry.  I’ve tried each of the 3 strobe settings with no success.

The LED lights on the housing are firing and the good strobe fires with either sync cord and on either side of the housing.

I put in a fresh set of batteries in the suspect strobe and still nothing.

Upon inspecting the battery compartment, I now see evidence of cleaning of the contacts, due to a “minor” flood in January 2018.  However, on this strobe design, the battery housing is separate from the internal electronics.

Is there anything else I should try or should I just be satisfied that I got almost two years of service from a strobe that survived a battery compartment flood?

I'm on day 2 of a 14 day trip to Grand and Little Cayman and wonder if there is a chance that I could beg, borrow, buy or rent a strobe while I'm here.

Happy New Year!

Only other thing I can think of is to try and see if you can activate the flash with an IR remote(from a TV) if there is one in your accommodation.  Try it with your good flash first to confirm the remote is fine.  It might indicate that the problem flash is not getting as much or enough light to trigger.  Probably a real long shot.   Hopefully you can get somewhere!  Happy New Year!

Clean the contacts first-second switch stobes left to right so you eliminate fiber and firing issues on that side of housing.If it still does not fire clean up all contacts an swap batteries from the working strobe. You are just eliminating possible issues until you decide that strobe is dead. Then since you are on Grand Caymen head to the camera shop as there are at least two there and rent or buy or beg for another strobe.

Hi,
have you tried to connect the fibre from the working strobe outgoing to the other one?
So you can check ignition and fire if it works without ttl.
Done that earlier with my Sea & Sea 250 pro.....
Best of luck,
Wolfgang

Argh. Sounds like you have tried what Wolfgang is suggesting.

Maybe worth a trip to Cathy Church camera shop a short walk outside Georgetown at the Sunset House hotel?

Cathy Church's Photo Centre and Gallery

P.O. Box 479, Grand Cayman, KY1-1106, CAYMAN ISLANDS

390 South Church Street, at the Sunset House Hotel

EMAIL: click here

Calling from within Cayman: (345)-949-7415

Calling from the US: (607)-330-3504

Posted (edited)

Thanks and Happy New Year Y'all.  

I've tried everything suggested except cleaning the contacts again, but will do so in the morning.  I was also unable to use a TV remote to trigger the "good" strobe in slave mode, nor was I able to trigger its focus light, which may mean something is amiss with the "good" strobe  as well.  

I'm heading to Cathy Church tomorrow early to sort things out.

Today I focused on managing with a single strobe and was pleased with the results, although it took more effort.  I've always looked up to photographers that have mastered ambient light UW photography.

For those that have used Sea & Sea YSD2 and upgraded, what strobes did you acquire?

Thanks for all your help.  

If you don't hear from me soon, it means I have a bad internet connection.

Edited by Redwing

On 1/2/2020 at 3:55 AM, Redwing said:

For those that have used Sea & Sea YSD2 and upgraded, what strobes did you acquire?

Hi hopе the rest of your stay was productive regarding uwphotos! As for the problem I had the same also during this New Year holidays. One YS-d2 (not J version) just stoped firing or I would say started firing intermittently (for ex every other third or forth time and with full power no matter what power setting i select (and to be more confused if I select the lowest power setting it did not fire at all!!!)).

So for now I am confused if I should buy a new J version and save some money or switch completely to Inon z330 (my wife using them and they work like a charm, they a more powerful (with my cause an overexposure in the shallows +  large f-stop conditions ).

So what was your decision or a strobe problem resolution?

I ended up purchasing a YSD2 while still in Grand Cayman.  Later that week, I saw a pinched battery compartment O-ring on my other strobe during a dive.  Aborted dive and quickly removed batteries and commenced rinse and clean with fresh water.  Fortunately, I was back in business the next day.  Close call.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:05 PM, temas said:

So for now I am confused if I should buy a new J version and save some money or switch completely to Inon z330 (my wife using them and they work like a charm, they a more powerful (with my cause an overexposure in the shallows +  large f-stop conditions ).

I have the YSD2Js. Sea & Sea replaced my original set for the Js after they failed and I don't think I'm fairing any better. They seem to work for me for a handful of dives then just stop firing the rest of the trip. On my most recent trip to the Philippines 1 lasted 5 dives (I was shooting macro with only 1) and when I went to swap it out for my other one I couldn't get it to fire at all. I'm personally not very happy with the YSD2Js. They're not very reliable. I've had issues on every trip I've taken them on that I've done more than about 5 dives on. 

On 1/15/2020 at 6:05 AM, temas said:

Hi hopе the rest of your stay was productive regarding uwphotos! As for the problem I had the same also during this New Year holidays. One YS-d2 (not J version) just stoped firing or I would say started firing intermittently (for ex every other third or forth time and with full power no matter what power setting i select (and to be more confused if I select the lowest power setting it did not fire at all!!!)).

So what was your decision or a strobe problem resolution?

Hi,

My wife and me have had similar problem: started with three YS-D2 (black) and had several issues (I reported here). Two repairs (one warranty exchange and one costing approx 250 Euro) and one complete loss...

I have three Z330 now (no issues so far) and my wife uses the two remaining YS-D2. In case a YS-D2 fails again it will be replaced by Z330...

Never again a Sea&Sea strobe!

Wolfgang 

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements