I have been using a Canon A110 for a few years with a UWL-04 in Nauticam housing. This has been my first camera for UW so served me well to learn some basics.

Now keen to see what a different setup could bring. Ideally something that will last my skills for time to come (something to grow into i guess) :)

Lots of positive chat about the A6500, good mix of portability with decent sensor size. Sounds like starting with a 16-50mm lense makes it adaptable to a wide angle and macro wet. Now the A6660 is out the price is even more reasonable.

Lenses

As i'm just starting out using lenses, are there any recommendations for an initial lense setup with this camera? Something versatile that can be used for macro and wide angle without the cost and hassle of multiple lenses.

Housing

Was looking Fantasea housing - looks like a good balance of quality, flexibility and price. Any current or past owners with any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi

I've been using the 6500 in a Fantasea housing for around 6mths and like you went from a Canon compact.  Its a great rig, although takes some getting used to.

I started out with the kit 16-50mm, with wet lenses, worked ok, then I got myself a Tonika 10-17mm(canon fit).. and its much better, even though I had a UWL-09f wet lens on the 16-50.  Also I picked up a 60mm Canon 2.8 macro which I've just started trying to play with, and that too works great.  I also have the 90mm but yet to pay with it underwater.  I guess the issue is you are going to a camera which needs a choice of lens to excel at either macro or wide angle, its a mind set I had to adapt to.

Also note regardless of housing, the lens costs can be 'ok' but you will need ports and rings which in some cases will cost more than the lens (for just a metal ring with no moving parts!).

The 6500 also is limited to a max 1/125 flash and 1/250 with an led flash trigger.  Still not a massive issue, but very different to a compacts sync speed.

Also there is a massive difference in weight both dry and wet so you've been warned... I now need to transport it on holiday in two bags, mainly due to the ports.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, lostloki said:

Hi

I've been using the 6500 in a Fantasea housing for around 6mths and like you went from a Canon compact.  Its a great rig, although takes some getting used to.

I started out with the kit 16-50mm, with wet lenses, worked ok, then I got myself a Tonika 10-17mm(canon fit).. and its much better, even though I had a UWL-09f wet lens on the 16-50.  Also I picked up a 60mm Canon 2.8 macro which I've just started trying to play with, and that too works great.  I also have the 90mm but yet to pay with it underwater.  I guess the issue is you are going to a camera which needs a choice of lens to excel at either macro or wide angle, its a mind set I had to adapt to.

Also note regardless of housing, the lens costs can be 'ok' but you will need ports and rings which in some cases will cost more than the lens (for just a metal ring with no moving parts!).

The 6500 also is limited to a max 1/125 flash and 1/250 with an led flash trigger.  Still not a massive issue, but very different to a compacts sync speed.

Also there is a massive difference in weight both dry and wet so you've been warned... I now need to transport it on holiday in two bags, mainly due to the ports.

How you like the anatase ports for the 90mm? Im debating Nauticam and Fantasea for a a6400.

I've not had experience of the Nauticam set up, but the Fantasea set up seems lighter, the actual buisiness end of the marco and for me wild angle ports are Sea and Sea running on the Fantasea FNX55G Connector port.  Using a standard Sea and Sea port also lets me switch between the Sony 90 and a Canon 60mm macro I have (I could also fit the 100mm Canon macro if I had one).

Its been pretty fine so far  the 90mm was supposed to be out in Lembeh the other month but Covid stopped that. 

I would say Fantasea could do a better job with the pin wheel to drive the focus cog in the FNX-55G, but then all housings have their issues.

But this is my 3rd Fantasea housing for various cameras and their customer service is very good, their products do what they say and at a resonable price and weight (espeically important when travelling or lugging it from the car to the boat).

As an aside if you fancy using the Canon macro lenses you don't seem to need a high end Sony to Canon adaptor, the cheaper ones work well as there is no zoom to change the settings.  Howeevr for my Tonika 10-17 I use a Sigma MC-11

Sponsors

Advertisements