Yes, been using the blacks in my two YS-D1s for several years. Have 16, use 2x4 at a time while the others are charging.

Can get a day of use of of one set befor changing them, but typially change them when I change the camera battery after two dives. 

If you are buying new get the Pros.  The only tradeoff is the Pro's will only be good for something like 500 recharge cycles vs 2000 for the white eneloops.  The Pro's will deliver more flashes per charge which is your goal.

I used the white eneloops for a long time, last year I replaced them as several of my white eneloops started to give error's. I do max 2 dive trips a year and some local diving, but I would think they were charged less then 250 times in their lifespan.

I now use the black eneloops, seems the recharge time is shorter (compared to the white eneloops at the end of their life) and they last longer. They do seem a bit heavier to me though (when grabbing a pack of 4 I noticed, or maybe I should hit the gym more often :crazy:)

I've been using whites for many years (since ?2010) and still have all of the originals ones. They've done hundreds of dives and, in Inon Z2xx strobes, usually manage 3 dives a day - unless snooting when it drops to two.

Hard to fault them in any way!

I started with the black ones, fearing that the white ones will not last long enough. I read in treads here that the black ones have shorter livespan than the whites (some say the black are also not so good for the flash, as far as I understood them)). My experience is that more black ones became defective than white so far. Numbers too small for meaningful statistics, however...

Now our stock of black ones is shrunk and we have more white than black (Two photographers with YS-D2's and Z330's). Together we take 32 accus to vacation and load half of them, while the others are in use. The white ones deliver power for at least 3 dives (usually approx. 3h-4h of use). After maximum three dives (normally an entire diving-day), they are replaced by the freshly charged ups (Also the black ones. Never tested how long they would last - end of the day is a good occasion to take care for the gear). Often I replace accus after two dives, when the time scedule of the day allows. It never happened in hundreds of dives, that there was no power in a strobe...

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

In my computerized discharge tests (designed to mimic the Z240 charging circuit), I see the pro versions have about 23% more capacity (Inon suggest about 33% more) when fully charged. Inon also suggests the pros charge faster but I can't test that easily and you shouldn't count on when the red light goes on on the strobe, it probably is only 80% charged.

Bill

In my computerized discharge tests (designed to mimic the Z240 charging circuit), I see the pro versions have about 23% more capacity (Inon suggest about 33% more) when fully charged. Inon also suggests the pros charge faster but I can't test that easily and you shouldn't count on when the red light goes on on the strobe, it probably is only 80% charged.
Bill

Typically ready to fire means the capacitor has enough to trigger the tube or it has reached the time constant of the circuit.
How the strobes behave will depend on when the batteries have still enough current to get the capacitor to a point where it discharges. The battery may be technically charged but not enough to materially discharge the capacitor.
In any case it is possible that higher charge means less life but 500 cycles are 1000 dives that’s a lot and possibly after 3 years the batteries have to be replaced anyway
A good test is to use a land flash with white or black. Haven’t done it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements