Sign in to follow this  
phxazcraig

Custom-fitted wetsuits

Looking for feedback and recommendations for a custom wetsuit manufacturer in the US.    I'm tired of wet suits that don't fit and pump water!

I'm 6'2", with a long torso and shorter-ish legs. (33 inch inseam).    I've only seen two kinds of wet suits in the 6-7 I've owned so far.   Those that are set up for 6'4" people, where I generally have two inches of leg to fold back into a cuff.  Or those that fit my legs, but are tight through the torso.  The tight-torso fits (most of my wetsuits) leave a gap at the lower back that gets water pumped through.

After a week of diving in 85F water, I'm freezing in my 4/3 wetsuit with full hood.  Wetsuits must be better than this.

It dawned on my to get a custom-fitted wetsuit, but I had never heard of them.  Figured them to be very expensive too.   But when I looked, the prices were reasonable, and there were a bunch of companies making them.

So - recommendations?    My next dive trip probably isn't until at least April, so plenty of time.   I just want something like a 4/3 - something easy to get into and suitable for water temps in the mid- to low-eighties.

Hmm, you are in Phoenix... If you have a trip to Monterey soon you could stop by Otter Bay Wetsuits:

http://www.otterbaysuits.com/Otter_Bay_Wetsuits/Welcome.html

They're really good.

You could also give some of the new stock wetsuits a try, like Henderson's, with the new stretchy neoprene you may find something that you like. One caveat, though, is that a couple of years ago when I tried one of these for one of my trips, the soft neoprene was very comfortable, but not too durable, and because it's so soft it may compress at depth, reducing the insulation.

I use and recommend custom suits by M&B Wetsuits in Long Beach, California. Contact the owner Don Hall. He’s only in the shop Tuesday-Thursday.

You will need to go to the custom shop to get fitted.These tend to be on the coasts not inland like Phoenix

Custom shops make a suit for your body.

The other option is do what I do that is order direct from Excel.com and have them ship you several sizes (you buy them) and try them on until you find the right fit and send the rest back for your refund. Done this alot and it works for me. In fact two are in transit now to me-I will send one back for credit as I only want one.The best fitting one.Ill then send it to otterbay wetsuits in Montery so they can add a relief zipper

You could try Waterproof suits - they are not very stretchy neoprene so have a wide range of sizes - more so than other manufacturers that rely on stretch to get a fit.  But they don't fit everyone.  They have instructions for measuring on their website.  You can enter your data on this page to get an estimate of how well it fits:  https://waterproofsizing.com/

Have you taken a look at Pinnacle wetsuits?  They have a huge number of sizes and maybe one would fit you - would definitely be less expensive than a custom suit.  I struggled to find wetsuits that fit me until I discovered them and one of their sizes fits me perfectly.  Now I'm on my 4th wetsuit of theirs and still really like them.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:51 PM, anenomefish2001 said:

Also try a hooded vest. I used to use one when I dove wet and it kept the water from going down my back.

THEN my suit shrank! Imagine that! 

Must have been the dry suit after the vest that shrank the suit right?

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far.   Let me address some points:

1. I have had several Henderson hyperstretch wet suits.  I like them because they are easy to get on.   I've also worn them out, lost them, and generally found myself getting cold in the 3 mil versions.  (I get cold easily).

2. I almost always wear a full hood when I dive.

3. I am not concerned about the price of a custom wetsuit.    I've had cheap wetsuits before, including Pinnacle, and I generally don't like them.   (Took me over 20 minutes once in a dive shop to struggle into a 5 mil Pinnacle that had no zippers on arms or legs.

4. I am surprised in this day and age that there isn't a cell phone app to do measurements for a custom wetsuit, but if I have to drive to the LA area to get fitted, it's not impossible.

5. I have an Xcel 5 mil - it's 6'2", or so, for my 6'2" body, but it fits badly.   The torso is too short, the legs a bit long, and it gaps over the small of my back, pumping cold water.  I am more like 6'4" from the waist up, 6'0" from the waist down.  Custom sounds pretty good to me.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements