Scotzh

Anyone tried to use CMC-1 with 105mm

I know that many use the Nikon 105mm or Canon 100mm together with the SMC-1 plus multiplier but have anyone tried to use the 105mm with the CMC-1 on a DX camera (D-500 etc)?

Did you get any good result? 

Diffractions, sharp corners, image quality etc?

Edited by Scotzh

I tried that combo on my D500 two months ago and it didn’t work. It could not focus even with my finger at 20mm from the port….

Joss, I've tried the 105mm with CMC-1 today and I too had problem getting the object in focus. I guess I just have to buy me the SMC-1 and a SMC-1 multiplier as everybody else. 

The CMC-1 can be used with a 60mm on APS-C but results is less magnification, 1.5:1. On M43with a 60mm the magnification is 2:1. 

The SMC-1 while more expensive is the better choice especially if you move to full frame at some point.  

2 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:

The CMC-1 can be used with a 60mm on APS-C but results is less magnification, 1.5:1. On M43with a 60mm the magnification is 2:1. 

The SMC-1 while more expensive is the better choice especially if you move to full frame at some point.  

Phil, I’ve been using the cmc-1 with 60mm but someone told me that you could use the cmc-1 with the 105mm. I was sceptical since Nauticam only specify the 60mm as compatible with the cmc-1. 

On 1/19/2020 at 10:03 PM, Scotzh said:

Joss, I've tried the 105mm with CMC-1 today and I too had problem getting the object in focus. I guess I just have to buy me the SMC-1 and a SMC-1 multiplier as everybody else. 

I got the SMC-1 to used with the nikkor 105 VR on a dx body and it has probed to be quite a challenge. Sometimes I manage to get focus and it is great, but most of the time is just fustration. 

Now, I do preffer to use the old INON UCL-165 and the most recent UCL-90.

However, this is my sutuation and only shows my lack of expertise. I have seen awesome pictures from others with the SMC-1 and event with the SMC-2

Try reversing the CMC-1 is some situations. I got it to focus reversed on a Sony 90mm Macro and had good results reversing it on other lens when the standard orientation did not work. 

Sponsors

Advertisements