Sign in to follow this  
pummkin

The REAL Stonefish

We've got stonefish & we've got the real monty. I couldn't stop the goosebumps over how ugly this is....!

mmm might need a second oppionion, but it dont look like one to me. Looks more live a devil fish ?

Yep, thats the Spiny Devilfish Inimicus didactylus

They sure are ugly though

I've currently got one on the home page of my website,

photo by my partner in crime and another wetpixeler Ethan Daniels.

To the contrary, I think they're far more photogenic than all those cutsey anemone fish filling everyone's galleries. Not just their mothers love them!

Leslie

Lol....... mmm I dont see them making the cover of "scuba diver" or "asian Diver " magazine in the near future , but yeh, I am sure that their mums love them no matter what ! ....... I heard their venom is pretty bad........ anyone been stung by one...what what it like ( if your still alive to tell the story )

How are u Leslie ?..... cheers

I've never read any stories about this guy's venom, just that it can be deadly. Once I was working aboard ship doing trawls when a guy got stung by the local scorpionfish. His hand become extremely swollen & painful but he was quite macho & kept on sorting fish. A colleague was on another cruise when a woman sat on a scorpionfish (don't ask, I don't know details). She went into shock & had to be airlifted off the ship. The Indo-Pacific scorpions are supposed to be much worse than ours.

Keeping busy working on images. Haven't seen the sun in days but I'm getting a lovely computer tan.

L

Heheheh! :) I was in a minefield of urchins as I hovered precariously over this Iminussses WhachamaTustus fella to have a closer look. It was the first time I had seen such a creature after 12 years of diving & thousand over dives later. I live in Malaysia & this was taken in Tioman Island, where the movie Bali Hai was made. In this part of the world, they call it REAL Stonefish, apparently to distinguish from the FALSE Stonefish, which always rest in pairs. Gotta dig up all my photos to find it. Once I do, will post it here! :D

Apa Khabar !...... I have like wise been about 10years underwater, and can still count real stone fish on one hand ( I think). They are very very very difficult to spot as they are so well camourflaged. I remember a dive guide 9 years ago showing me one, and .... well, I could not see it, even with my nose 30 cm from it. Only after he gave it a nudge, I saw it ( as it moved ). The one i saw had the right name " stone " cause it swam like a lazy stone....very very slow and awkward. Here is another one , it looks different than the ones ( 2 or 3 ) I have see in thailand, but this one is from Mataking near the pier. Even this one was pretty hard to see.

205.jpg

Aiyeeee! Thought this is a Stargazer? No? Seen one at Kapalai, Sabah & they look fat & ugly! I think I'd stick to taking Sea Gummies' pix. For your information, we call nudibranchs, Sea Gummies coz they look & sometimes feel like Gummy Bears! It's a girl thing so don't ask me if it's a valid name! If it sounds cute, it's probably feminine!!!

Here are some from Lembeh, that I still have online to help with the IDs:

Inimicus (road kill):

11.jpg

Stonefish (a nice yellow one):

17.jpg

Stargazer (what an original composition, NOT):

05.jpg

Hi Alex,

Do you have another photo of the Inimucus (road kill)? I've not seen such colouration before.

Mind sharing some other photos of it with us?

:)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements