Sign in to follow this  
germie

Difference close up lens and macro converter

What is the difference between a close up lens and a macro converter?

I have now the Saga +10 close up lens (wet diopter). But I want some more magnication. What is the best to choose?

I know Saga has a +15 diopter/close up lens. But I believe you cannot screw another lens on it.

Nauticam has the CMC and the SMC Macro converters. What do they different from +X diopters? 

I also found the Inon UWL-M67 (+15). Way more expensive. But better?

All of these lenses are closeup lenses of different powers expressed in diopters.

What makes the Nauticam CMC and SMC lenses a cut above is the design of the lenses. With any macro lens the placement of the closeup lens in relation to the macro lens makes a big difference. If the distance between the C/Uand the macro lens is even 2 or 3 millimeters the amount of magnification begins to drop. If the macro lens does not sit very close to the port glass you loose magnification. If the C/U lens sits forward on the outside of the housing you loose magnification.

The Nauticam closeup lenses and flip adapters are designed to reduce this distance from the macro lens. All of the C/U lenses you have referenced above except for the Nauticam are designed so that the lens elements are flush with the 67mm threads on the back of the C/U lens. If you take a close look at the Nauticam C/U lenses you will see that the lens elements extend past the threads to get them closer to the port glass. To make this work you need to use a Nauticam flip adapter or the threaded adapter ring that comes with the Nauticam lenses. You won't see another lens being sold with this adapter ring. This 3 or 4 mm extension difference allows greater magnification with like lenses. 

01_73cbc60b-3966-4a93-8e62-0ba4903ddfca_1024x1024.jpg

10 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:

If you take a close look at the Nauticam C/U lenses you will see that the lens elements extend past the threads to get them closer to the port glass. To make this work you need to use a Nauticam flip adapter or the threaded adapter ring that comes with the Nauticam lenses. You won't see another lens being sold with this adapter ring.

I have a Weefine WFL05S +13 close-up lens that uses this exact style of mounting, with the rear glass element extending past the threads and an adapter ring to make it fit ports that don't have the room for this extension.

I have not tested or reviewed the Weefine/Kraken sports closeup lenses. Good to hear that someone else has adopted the better design. 

In general, there are too few reviews of Weefine lenses out there. I hear some good things, but there is no solid information. If you could review some, that would be much appreciated. Weefine is quite a bit cheaper than Nauticam. 

• Like 1

For now I don't choose for Weefine as I cannot find enough reviews. Nauticam seems to be good.

But also the Saga +15 seems to be really good. And the Inon UCL-67.

But I don't know what the best choice is for a MFT system with a Panasonic 45mm macrolens. Some say the CMC, others say the SMC.

I already have a flipadapter.

The current issue of uwpmag.com has an image attached below using the Somy FE 90mm macro with the Aquatica +10 closeup lens which is designed for full frame cameras. 

I personally own the SMC-1 which I have used for several years and many of my super macro shots on full frame have been taken with that lens.

In back issues at uwpmag.com you can find reviews for Saga +15 issue #76, Nauticam CMC-1 issue #84 and Inon UCL-167 issue #98.

CMC 1 & 2 are designed for best results with consumer compacts and M43 cameras. APS-C and full frame would be better served using SMC-1 or 2. With CMC the #1 is the higher power and #2 is lower, it is the reverse with the SMC lenses. Saga is perhaps best with APS-C and smaller sensors as is the Inon UCL-167. Inon has a newer line of C/U lenses called UCL-67 M67 which are designed for full frame cameras.

Dozens of other C/U lens manufactures are out there as well, hard to cover them all. 

I have reviewed Weefine/Kracken Sports 1000 and 3000 ring lights but none of their C/U lenses at this time.

untitled-01734.jpg

Edited by Phil Rudin
  • Like 1

I have this Noodilab for sale, its excellent, VERY close up and a great price too :)

I am in for a new closup lens, probably the SMC-2.

But I have a Nauticam house with the compact 30 port with extensions. This flatport doesn't have a 67mm thread on the end. I can't find a flipadapter that does fit on this port.

Do you have a solution how to fit the SMC-2 on this port?

https://www.backscatter.com/Nauticam-Compact-Underwater-Flat-Port-30

not at aquacam Kees ? Or design and print your own.

@DuikKees

SAGA make a wide range of adaptors for ports. If they don't have a specific product that will work, they will often be able to make one for you. 

They are based in Spain, so convenient for Europeans!

I have used the Inon UCL-67 and UCL-90. They are very good optically and can be used with hard backlighting without producing flare.

Adam

Thanks, 

No not on the site from Aquacam. But I already did some drawing, so I have to look very nice to my best friend to 3D print it. 

Thanks for the link to Saga, I keep it in mind.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements