Sign in to follow this  
James777

Canon s95

Tg6 v canon s95  is olympus an upgrade? Looking for a small compact for holiday 

Edited by James777

Do you already have an s95?  It's not clear.  I shot one above and below water for several years, until the zoom broke.  (Common failure mode.  Happened on 4 different Canon point-n-shoots eventually).   Since I already had batteries, and a housing, I bought a used s95 and worked with that for a year.  The zoom mechanism broke on that one too, and I replaced it with an s120 and new housing.

Having worked with Canons for 10 years or so, I can say that each model was clearly better than the old one, particularly in terms of image quality in dimmer conditions.   The s120 was definitely better than the s95, and the housing was more advanced as well. (I use Canon dive housings, probably made by Meikon.   The s120 housing included provisions for triggering external strobes with fiber cables.)

I suspect the TG6 is better.  I've seen some gorgeous TG5 macro shots I don't think the s95 could have done - nor the s120.   That said, I have no issues recommending either the s95 or s120 for 'small compact for holiday', if you don't want to just use a cell phone.

I've also had a s95 for a few years and it has performed very well for a compact setup! I used both the Ikelite and Recsea housings, and the Recsea was definitely more advanced and I was able to trigger external strobes with fiber cables with it. 

Sorry my first post!   Yes I have a canon s95. It was fixed several years ago by canon when the zoom stuck open.  I am a little wary of the same thing happening.

its been a few years so my diving needs some refreshing and do not want to take the full bulky equipment.  

As its old tech any new system would not be compatible with my wide angle lens was looking at the change.

tg6 looks good albeit no manual. But for holiday diving looks best price and quality on market.

thanks for your comments  so far

FWIW, the S95 has full manual control and none of the TG series have that capability. For both good and bad, the S95 has a larger sensor as well, though of older generation. I have an S90 in the FIX housing and would much prefer it to a TG anything, but I am not a macro guy either. The S90/95 were sufficiently ahead of their time they are still relevant today for strictly fun photography, which really, I suspect most folks are. 

On 2/10/2020 at 2:33 PM, James777 said:

Thanks all. . A bit embarrassed as when I got my camera out it is actually a S100.

Be it a S90, S95 or a S100, any one of them is considerably more capable overall than the TG(X). Full manual and a larger sensor cannot be dismissed.

Edited by Captain Fathom

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements