sinetwo

Clearing dome droplets in between over water shots?

I'm branching out with dog photography and I'd like to get some furry pictures of an active dog in the shallow.

For this I'd obviously use my housing, with a wide angle lens and probably a strobe as I've no other way to fire off a flash.

However saltwater droplets would be forming on the dome in between most shots as the dog would splash water on to the camera.

To rinse I'd probably bring a large bottle of clean water, however droplets would still form (albeit not as bad as saltwater). 

What would you use in between to make sure it's completely clear, just fine tissue or possibly a microfibre cloth?

Some old guys say spit a lot on the dome and rib it,
so there will be no drops...
I have heard as well that a fresh cut potatoe ( better its juice ) helps.

And you could try anti waterdrop fluid to stop forming drops as well.

All the best,
looking forward for that shots, had some ideas about this topic as well,
Wolfgang

• Like 1

Spitting and potatoes, i expected the former but not the latter :)

I'll try that out and look at a few tips to keep water off.

Here's one from this article:

To keep water off my dome port, I usually dive with a small sponge that I keep in my BCD pocket. When I need it – I squeeze it really strong and I wipe off the water off my dome – and then slowly put back my dome in the water making sure the upper part doesn’t get wet, but it is not always perfect. The most efficient technique is to dry the dome with the sun. It gets dry quickly.

For me, I would use my housing and clear the lens with no worry. I would not use my naked camera lens in this way. A consideration, is to use a clear UV filter and clean water spots without worry. However, unless the lens is splash proof, I would not.

Check out Matty Smith Photo website and there is great video on water droplets in split photography 

A microfiber cloth as you say, or lint free towels.  There are many on the market, for instance:

https://raglady.com/Lint-Free

You could also try a bit of rubbing alcohol after wiping, to evaporate any water residue.

Please share the aquatic canine photos.  

Thanks all, I'll try to have a go at this when the water is somewhat warmer, unless my friend's collie is up for the cold water - which he may well be :D

My guess is that the same thing that keeps a mask from fogging while diving would be helpful to get water beading and rolling off.  It's a matter of surface tension.   Just try gently rubbing the outside of the dome with a diluted mixture of baby shampoo before you go in the water. 

One of my long ago learned tricks is as noted above with a small squirt bottle of mask defogger and a small chamois.I tied it to my housing handle and would wipe the dome when its dry and reapply now and again during bthe shooting.A liitle dab on the chamois and wipe the dome dip and shoot.This was with older acrylic dome on aquatic housing in the 80's and early 90s. The new glass ports resit even better.

I've heard (and tried) that if you start with the dome fully immersed, then take the picture immediately after raising above the waterline, the droplets won't have formed.

Obviously frame composition is difficult but with WA I've found it to work pretty well.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements