Sign in to follow this  
Joe Weaver

The Little Things - Retainers for lens cap, diffusers, etc.

Currently, I take my lens cap off the retainer and leave it on the boat, but having a place to stick it would be nice.  Same thing with the diffusers on the strobes.  I hate it when something floats down into the shot or the light path.

What is everyone else using to keep these little items in place when not being used?  Is there a good adhesive velcro that will stay stuck underwater?

Just leave them on shore.  Once in the housing there is no need for a lens cap and there is also no need to put the strobe diffusers on and off, leave them in place

I wish I had an answer for the caps.  I leave them in the room now.  I have in the past taken the big neoprene sleeve 'cap' for my 230mm dome off in the water and stuck my arm through it for the remainder of the dive.  But I lost the cover in high currents off Hawaii on a dive and haven't felt like risking the ($45) replacement.

Strobe diffusers are easier.  I leave them on the strobes until I'm in the water, and if I don't want diffusion I take them off and let them dangle by their retaining strings.  I loop the string around the ball clamp when mounting the strobe.   That way I always have them.  It's worked for 5 years, but it does look a bit fragile.

I’m with troporobo. Either take them as you intend to use them. Or leave them behind. Dangly bits and string are always a nuisance and wrap around things at the worst possible time. Cut the clutter.  

My Inon UFL165AD lens had a hard cap. It had holes, prelocated, proably to vent air but I tied a piece of cave line though and used a plastic bolt snap so that I could remove the cap underwater and hook it to a d-ring. Then, upon boarding the boat, or an emergency where I needed to concentrate on something other than my camera, I could install the hard cap. Most of the times I have had a lens damaged it was due to the crew tossing my rig in the rinse tank after specifically instructing them not to and then the other cameras that landed on top of it damaged the port or lens or other similar on boat fiascos. Being able to install my hard cap is some insurance against that. 

James

• Thanks 1

If I have a soft dome cover I just stuff it inside my wetsuit (chest area) and zip it up-never had a issue-a BC pocket can work as well. Strbe diffusers you can rig with a small streak cord that keepos them snug away from front of strobe when not needed. That stuff is small 1/8 inch bungie cord at a REI store or camping place

Edited by onokai

Hi,
the neoprene dome cap is on the dome for entering and leaving the water.
I made two small holes in it, on opposite sides near the edge, and clipp it with the
double sided piston clip, i use to fix my strobe arms as a handle for lifting out of water, during the dive.
Two holes because otherwise it could float in the picture.....
Same with the plastic cap from my 4" Zen dom, there is one hole enought.
Worked well until last trip i took it off after installing, for a last shot, where it escaped from my hands....
Strong current and wall is a bad combination in that case...
Regards,
Wolfgang

Edited by trimix125

I put both the plastic cap from my flat port, or the neoprene cap from my dome port, in my pockets from either my dry suit, or if I dive in a wet suit, I use shorts with pockets (scubapro cargo shorts).

On one side I store the cap, on the other side I store my smb if im at sea. Works great for me. Never store the diffusors though.

Always put them back on my port before I exit the water / hand over my housing.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements