A friend recommended a Nikon 70-180mm macro lens. Nauticam doesn't make a zoom gear for this lens and it's kind of tricky to fit. I broke out the CAD software I use for underwater inspection reports and got up to speed with developing 3D parts for 3D printing. There are a few changes that I'd make, but it works really well. It's nice not to be limited to most common lens choices.

Has anyone else experimented with 3D printing accessories?

83242275_10213564404859174_7682930815839240192_o.jpg

Edited by Cnotthoff
change text

I created zoom gears for a variety of lenses for my parent's Subal Housing (Subal does not supply that many mu43 Zoomgears) as well as an adapter to use the Olympus 12-40 zoomgear with my Panasonic-Leica 8-18mm.

I've also tried making a snoot for a video lamp, but the lamp has a non standard thread, and I couldn't figure out what kind of thread it was, so that project failed.

Generally though, I've seen consumer printing service prices go up significantly and I don't own or need my own printer. 

I created a zoomgear for the Olympus 12-50 for the Olympus Housings. Olympus has non for it. I let it print by Shapeways and it works ok.

I designed extension collars for the Nauticam zoomgears for the Tokina 10-17mm and Canon 8-15mm fisheyes with and without the 1.4x Kenko teleconverter using "TinkerCad". This was required since the original zoomgears fit to the lenses adapted with the Metabones 0.71x speedbooster to MFT cameras (EM5II and EM1II in my case), but I use them with the Metabones 1x Smart adapter that is 6.6mm longer compared to the 0.71x booster (the range of angles of view is more useful for MFT sensor with 1x adaptor compared to the 0.71x speedbooster).

I printed out with https://i.materialise.com. One zoomgear extension was approx. 15 Euro (with VAT) and delivery was 10 Euro. I think this within range as long as I let not print out hundreds of them...

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

On 1/29/2020 at 5:24 AM, Cnotthoff said:

A friend recommended a Nikon 70-180mm macro lens. Nauticam doesn't make a zoom gear for this lens and it's kind of tricky to fit. I broke out the CAD software I use for underwater inspection reports and got up to speed with developing 3D parts for 3D printing. There are a few changes that I'd make, but it works really well. It's nice not to be limited to most common lens choices.

Interesting, what port and extension are you using?

How do you like that lens underwater?

Congratulations!  There is a whole world of printed parts available in

The lens gears and other useful designs can be uploaded to Thingiverse for others' to print and use.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png
spacer.png Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums spacer.png
spacer.png
Hi Kraken de Mabini,
Here's the new content from your followed items for the past day.

— Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

Forums

2 items (See all)
default_photo.png

jchance created a topic in Photography Gear and Technique

Maldives and photography

There are several of us making a first time trip on the Manthiri in the Maldives at the end of March. We are trying to decide exactly what the options are and lighten the baggage. We all know of the large “critters” there and the need for medium to wide angle lenses.  But, considering the average dive conditions there ( ie-currents, etc.), are there many opportunities for anything else such as macro?  Thanks for everyone’s input!

rating_off.pngrating_off.pngrating_off.pngrating_off.pngrating_off.png      comment.png  2 replies

default_photo.png

Cnotthoff created a topic in Photography Gear and Technique

3D Printed Parts

83242275_10213564404859174_7682930815839240192_o.jpg

rating_off.pngrating_off.pngrating_off.pngrating_off.pngrating_off.png      comment.png  1 reply

spacer.png
spacer.png Prefer to stop receiving these emails? Adjust your digest preferences.
spacer.png facebook twitter instagram spacer.png
spacer.png Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums spacer.png

yes... I have a 3D printed double flip adapter for Ikelite modular port that I drew and designed myself, a thingiverse snoot for Ikelite DS125 and self designed knob extensions for both the Ikelite DS51 and DS125 strobes.

I used 3d hubs for printing. Then it was lots of hobbyists printing at home, but now  they dont use private printers any more. But there is a friend in Germany that has his own 3D printer (he printed  the snoot).

I used freecad 3D, and lots of measuring. For the extension knobs, there was some sanding and thread cutting needed. They are fit with little allen screws.

image.jpeg

IMG_6173.JPG

IMG_6174.JPG

IMG_6175.JPG

• Like 1

i am also quite interested in printing my own gears!!  I have been playing around with my printer to print simple things.. using tinkercad

I got some things i can't quite figure out...

is it possible to print screw thread for a marco lens?  the screw threads are really small and i can't seem to find a way to get them to come out right. 

also

i can't figure out the right 'formula' to create a gear teeth to line up with the knob gears teeth.  is there a formula that i can work with?

Fusion 360 can create gears using a number of presets as well as your own if you are willing to get into the super nerdy stuff. I've had success with the standardised threads, but not with custom ones. Lacking the engineering knowledge...

Gear teeth are best copied from an existing gear. Either by taking a photo and scanning in the outline or by measuring the number and size of the teeth. This is the part I generally consider easy (and once you have a working design, you can copy it to different ones). If you find one at thingiverse you can also copy from there. For me the difficult bit is finding out the exact measurements to the gear fits on the lens and still has enough friction to turn the gear. 

A couple of times I've had to borrow a zoom gear which was slightly too big for the lens barrel. A rubber band or piece of neoprene around the lens can fill that gap nicely and give the ring enough grippage to turn the zoom.

Sponsors

Advertisements