Captain Fathom

UWT converter and reversion to camera strobe?

Can anyone tell me if the installation of the UW Technics converter precludes using the onboard flash? I have the NA-6400, I have the UWT flash converter but I am just still unboxing everything and trying to understand it all. 

I went back and forth on the A6300, the new A6400, A6500 and the new A6600 and finally settled on the A6400. I would like to be able to use the onboard flash on occasion and understand that I will need to unplug the hot shoe interface to do so but am curious if the UWT device fully blocks the fiber optic windows precluding use of the onboard camera strobe for optical triggering? 

The UWT converter installs with double sticky tape. So I would rather not have to tear it out to revert to using the camera's strobe.

Thank you for any insight.

James

Edited by Captain Fathom
spelling

So to answer my own question, it appears that I can indeed install the UWT converter and still revert to my onboard flash. The UWT converter does not block the optical window enough to prevent optical connection with the camera flash. My NA-6400 allows me to install the UWT converter and if, for whatever reason, I wish not to use it, I can simply unplug the hot shoe cable connection and stow it above the camera. 

I am not sure exactly why I would sometimes not want to use the UWT converter, but I am glad that option seems to be preserved, to use the onboard camera flash unplugging the converter. I might wish to do this early on as I am just learning the camera and housing functions and the UWT is just another layer of learning I must do. Baby steps, one thing at a time.

Yes, the converter can be installed and does not prevent operation of the camera strobe or communication with optical cables plugged in to the ports. 

Yes, UW Technics TTL-Converter #11073 installed in the housing, preserves pop-up flash functionality. Construction is made this way to expand the capabilities of synchronization system in the housing. SonyA6xxx-TTL-installed-17x11.jpg

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov

Sponsors

Advertisements