Jump to content
Interceptor121

Any Panasonic G9 users out there?

Recommended Posts

I recently picked up a G9/Nauticam housing and have only used it on one trip to PNG.  Bonaire in three months for more play time.  I'm at a complete loss for  video work which I hope to mess around with soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I think it is.  However I'm a complete noob when it comes to video settings etc.  I've tried reading through some of your posts and see you're using a GH5.  You mentioned setting focus once at the start of the dive then continuing from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm based in Atlanta, GA, USA.  The G9 is a fun camera and pretty user friendly.  The nauticam housing is quite large compared to say the Oly em1 as it doesn't use a swing out back door but all in all it's a fun kit.  I wish more people used the G9 as learning from others is part of the fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just north of ATL myself.  I am just getting rigged up with a GX85, but G9 is on my watch list.  I usually stay a few versions back myself to keep the costs down and to get second hand pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, aviator8 said:

I'm just north of ATL myself.  I am just getting rigged up with a GX85, but G9 is on my watch list.  I usually stay a few versions back myself to keep the costs down and to get second hand pieces.

There is no second hand market. UK zero units sold I found only one in my network

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes, now.   In time things will pop up I'm sure.  When I originally decided to set up a proper diving kit I wanted to use my GX85 that I have had for a few years.  I could not find any second hand housings so I grabbed a deal on a RX100V setup to get me up and running until I could find something.  I had to wait around for about 10 months until I found a housing for my GX85, and recently got one.  Finding the camera isn't so hard so I will just wait until deals on a housing can be had.  Most everything else outside a port or two I have already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, I bet it's the same with the GX8. I've never ever seen the housing used, and they probably sold very few if any...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Haha, I bet it's the same with the GX8. I've never ever seen the housing used, and they probably sold very few if any...

I have seen one amazing performance actually!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 10:08 PM, EdD said:

I'm based in Atlanta, GA, USA.  The G9 is a fun camera and pretty user friendly.  The nauticam housing is quite large compared to say the Oly em1 as it doesn't use a swing out back door but all in all it's a fun kit.  I wish more people used the G9 as learning from others is part of the fun.

The G9 misses a pin on the hot shot so it is now compatible with panasonic mini flash and nauticam trigger is required

I like this much less!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the Nauticam flash trigger and don't have any issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I use the Nauticam flash trigger and don't have any issues.

Just makes the set up $250 more expensive plus multicore cables
And no TTL for who uses that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:


Just makes the set up $250 more expensive plus multicore cables
And no TTL for who uses that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah well the $250 does suck but it's behind me now and I only shoot manual.  I was curious about the multi-core vs. single core cables.  I was thinking about the DIY cables.  I thought I saw someone say they could trigger the d2 with the toslink cable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, EdD said:

yeah well the $250 does suck but it's behind me now and I only shoot manual.  I was curious about the multi-core vs. single core cables.  I was thinking about the DIY cables.  I thought I saw someone say they could trigger the d2 with the toslink cable?

If you use the flash trigger the signal is much weaker so it needs multicore at least that if what Nauticam says

I do not have one currently and my mini flash works with single core just fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miniflash is also much cheaper, not factoring in having to buy multicore fiber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a G9 user, but haven't taken it underwater yet. My last underwater rig was a Nikon D200, and am now really comfortable with my G9 (topside), and am setting up my Nauticam rig. Hope to have it in the water in the coming weeks.

So my comparisons are really topside based, but I love the G9. It is a comfortable and fun camera to use. Intuitive to use and capable of a wide range of photos.

Looking forward to getting the unit underwater.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking for the same thing here. A G9 with video capabilities in terms of custom wb accuracy compare to gh5/5s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fizrinizam said:

I'm looking for the same thing here. A G9 with video capabilities in terms of custom wb accuracy compare to gh5/5s.

G9 and GH5 have the same sensor. Inside the housing the ergonomics are similar but on land the G9 is a more pleasant photo camera. The GH5 however is another planet for video and the GH5s is a camcorder in a camera body

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sponsors

Advertisements



×
×
  • Create New...