sinetwo

1 week macro trip, 'travellable' from the UK?

I'm definitely going to Gulen at some point but I'm very new to drysuits and I feel I'd be better off doing more diving (and getting the seaskin!) in the UK before spending money on it in Norway. 

But for sure, in a year or two I'll deffo go

Gulen is amazing, but a very different proposition! No guides, cool water (especially at peak nudibranch season in March) and super interesting (but definitely less abundant) critters.

During the above mentioned season there are nudibranchs everywhere! They run a nudibranch safari, which is amazing and is great opportunity to get involved in some very cool citizen science.

https://wetpixel.com/articles/the-shootout-2018-is-underway-in-lembeh-and-gulen

The Lembeh vs Gulen Shootout may be running again in 2021...we ran one in 2016 and 2018. They are really amazing events..

https://wetpixel.com/articles/report-gulen-nudibranch-safari

My feeling is that the Red Sea has everything that Cozumel can offer, but a lot more of it!

I know that it is a little over the travel time but why not Bali? Quick look at Skyscanner shows reasonable flights for under £500 from London with one stop. It is certainly possible to get a week inc diving for under £500 so within budget. I have had some better spotters there than anywhere else and certainly no shortage of macro subjects. If you only have a week off then I have done a later flight on a Thursday and back on the Sunday giving 6(?) days diving with just over a weeks leave.

Just a thought

• Like 1

Hey DDT, I was actually planning on going to tulamben to meet up with the supreme spotter, Ajiex (i came back from there in December actually). Either that or the Philippines. However due to the issues in East Asia now I've decided to not travel there. 

Usually I wouldn't fret but there have been some travel restrictions to East Asia and I would rather stay a bit closer (Cozumel, red sea, Maldives) 

Sponsors

Advertisements