dreifish

New Seacam 160d & ONEUW 160X Strobes

I'm in the market for a new set of wide angle strobes. Any recommendations as between these two? Seems Seacam finally announced their 160D in December, but not sure if anyone has one in their hands. They seem to be quite similar, though Seacam includes high speed sync but only has a Guide number of 15 while ONEUW has a guide number of 20.

Have you considered the Retra flashes?

They are pretty close in terms of specs, but they're half the price ...

Have you seen the review of the ONEUW 160X?

https://wetpixel.com/articles/field-review-oneuw-160x-strobe-by-alex-mustard

The feature set for the Seacam 160D is very similar, with accessories such as a diffusor already available when it ships, which should be any day now.

https://wetpixel.com/articles/seacam-announces-seaflash-160-strobe

Yes, I've seen it. Basically very similar to Seacam strobes which are the best strobes that you could dream of, at a much lower price.

The Retra Pro strobes seem to come quite close in terms of performance (to be confirmed when we have field tests of actual production strobes), at an even lower cost. However a key difference is that they weight almost half as much as the ONEUW  or Seacam. Given the increasing issues we have to travel on airlines with all our gear, it is for me quite a significant advantage for which I am ready to sacrifice a bit on performance (regardless of the cost issue ...)

The cost difference means that I would not hesitate to choose again the Retra. But I'm not a pro, far from it ... 

Have OneUW produced some diffusers?

Without it doesn’t matter 120 degrees on land once submerges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements