Sign in to follow this  
ChrisRoss

Olympus EM-1 MkIII Announced

Olympus have  just announced the EM-1 MkIII https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-initial-review

The body looks very close to the MkII, but looks like they have  done just enough with buttons to make using MkII housing difficult.   The rear screen/EVF button has moved slightly and the menu button is right next to it now plus the info button is now a joystick. 

Some interesting new features but not too much for the UW shooter.  It now has 7 stop stabilisation, improved weather sealing (IPX-1) and new face and eye AF algorithm.  There is also a live ND mode and handheld high res modes.  The weather sealing sounds impressive - rated for 10 minutes in the equivalent of 1mm/minute rainfall.

UW ...if you need a new case... then it would not make sense to upgrade for 3000/3500€  +++ (!)

Sounds like a good iteration for an already good camera. Nothing to justify upgrading camera and housing though. 

If you need new equipment is a good choice with Isotta or Nauticam housing (when it goes on sale). No update required from EM1.2 or EM5.2

Olympus E‑M1 Mark III configuration:

E‑M1 Mark III 1.799€ (body) + Isotta (E-M1.2) Housing (handles included) 1.690 € = 3.489€

E‑M1 Mark III 1.799€ (body) + Nauticam (E-M1.2) Housing (handles included) 1.908 € = 3.707€

Olympus E‑M5 Mark III configuration:

E‑M5 Mark III 1.199€ (body) + Isotta (E-M1.2) Housing (handles NOT included) 1.590 € = 2.789€

E‑M5 Mark III 1.199€ (body) + Nauticam (E-M1.2) Housing (handles NOT included) 1.200 € = 2.399€

** (Official prices brand webpage, no other channels) **

I've been anticipating this, as an EM-1 Mk II user.  It does look possible that an EM-1 Mk II housing could work, except moving those two buttons and adding the joystick effectively rules it out.  I will say that the in-camera fisheye correction is interesting, and better autofocus is always welcome.  The in-camera ND filter is interesting on land.  But overall, there's not enough here for me to upgrade.

In-camera FE correction works now on present models with the latest firmware. On jpegs only.

• Like 1

It is a minor improvement as expected with no reason to upgrade for underwater use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, troporobo said:

I've been anticipating this, as an EM-1 Mk II user.  It does look possible that an EM-1 Mk II housing could work, except moving those two buttons and adding the joystick effectively rules it out.  I will say that the in-camera fisheye correction is interesting, and better autofocus is always welcome.  The in-camera ND filter is interesting on land.  But overall, there's not enough here for me to upgrade.

It looks like it could be done if you could replace the housing back cover, all the other buttons look like they are in the same spots. 

Though I do agree reasons to upgrade are few.

Edited by ChrisRoss

This is now the 3rd OMD release without a housing from Olympus; kind of a bummer as their housings were a nice economical alternative to Nauticam (even more so when factoring in ports).

Have to say that 0.5x magnicifaction on the new "Pro" Kitzoom sounds interesting. Wonder if there will be any wet wide angles compatible as it does some telescoping.

17 hours ago, Wapiti said:

This is now the 3rd OMD release without a housing from Olympus; kind of a bummer as their housings were a nice economical alternative to Nauticam (even more so when factoring in ports).

IMO, not a bummer at all. I had one of their housings several generations ago. The ergonomics and usability were awful. I have since happily paid more for better quality.  

Bummer- I've never had a problem with the ergonomics on Oly M43 housings, and I'm in dry gloves.  Half the price (or less), lighter weight, plenty of similarly cheaper/lighter ports- that's pretty compelling, especially for my diving (a good mix of rugged shore entries and warm water travel).

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements