Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ
https://camerasize.com/compact/#840.852,840.409,840.332,ha,t

Olympus M.Zuiko ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO
Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm f/3.5
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f/4-5.6
https://camerasize.com/compact/#840.470,840.4,840.96,ha,t

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-45mm f/4.0 PRO
Panasonic Lumix G X VARIO 12-35mm f/2.8 II ASPH. POWER O.I.S.
https://camerasize.com/compact/#840.412,840.852,840.626,ha,t

camerasize-1.jpg

camerasize-2.jpg

camerasize-3.jpg

What I would find interesting in a lens size comparison would be pairs of images of the same lens at either end of the zoom range, or wherever most/least extension is for zoom & focus.

Many zoom lenses that at first appear interesting turn out to be completely impractical simply because a port to accommodate the extremes of extension would be impractical. 

2 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

What is the point you are trying to make here?

The use for underwater photography. Some people look at lenses without knowing the real size or weight to incorporate into a housing and the problems with ports and ring extensions.

1 hour ago, JohnLiddiard said:

What I would find interesting in a lens size comparison would be pairs of images of the same lens at either end of the zoom range, or wherever most/least extension is for zoom & focus.

Many zoom lenses that at first appear interesting turn out to be completely impractical simply because a port to accommodate the extremes of extension would be impractical. 

Totally agree!!

The optimum for UW are lenses with internal zooming, i.e. lenses that stay constant in length when zooming in and out (e.g. Panasonic 7-14mm; an example of exteranl zooming is e.g. Zuiko 9-18mm). I personally do not know about internal vs. external zoom for every lens. A table that shows which type of zoom for each lens and hwat length difference between the extremes, will be very useful, at least to me...

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

18 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

The optimum for UW are lenses with internal zooming, i.e. lenses that stay constant in length when zooming in and out (e.g. Panasonic 7-14mm; an example of exteranl zooming is e.g. Zuiko 9-18mm). I personally do not know about internal vs. external zoom for every lens. A table that shows which type of zoom for each lens, will be very useful, at least to me...

Wolfgang

Thank you very much for your information. I'd like to see these specs in brand webpages, full sizes of short/long zoom

This is the new comparation: http://j.mp/37tk0Sv

Olympus M.Zuiko ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO
Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm f/3.5
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f/4 Asph.

I'd be curious if the new 12-45mm is internal zoom, but I think it is not?

Actually for many of the lenses I have tested on a slide the entrance pupil moves very little when the lens is zoom

When is at wide end the entrance pupil is near the edge when the lens is zoomed it extends and the entrance pupil only moves few millimeters

The issue with zoom lenses is that as you zoom the minimum focus distance increases and it may not focus in a dome

In MFT lenses however this never happens amen

Having tried practically all zoom lenses that can be housed (among those that are at least half decent) I am happy that size does not actually matter 

The 12-40 is I think still the better UW option at least from the close focusing standpoint, the 12-45mm gets 0.25x magnification  at 23cm MFD while the 12-40 is 0.3x at 20cm.  I use the 12040 in a 170mm Zen dome and image quality is great all through the zoom range.

What would be interesting to me would be 10-40mm zoom with similar max magnification.  those extra 2mm would extend the versatility quite a bit.

I think I have read that the 12-45 ist 0,5x magnification?

The focal range 12-40 is not as versatile. I am very pleased with the 12-60 of the leica and cheaper lumix version is slower but works fine underwater and would be a better buy if you wanted a classic zoom.
60mm means you can still take decent portraits of shy fish and they dont look tiny in the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, hyp said:

I think I have read that the 12-45 ist 0,5x magnification?

it's 0.5x "equivalent" magnification including the 2x crop factor.

Sponsors

Advertisements