Sign in to follow this  
trimix125

Nauticam housing to camera flange measurements

Hi,
asking for a little help:
Could Nauticam housing owners of different systems,
specially Canon N120 / Nikon N120 and Sony N85 and N100 both styles measure the distance
between housing and camera flange in milimeters please?

Simply reason, some lenses, specially from Sigma and Tokina, are in all these charts, but sometimes with different ports, or combinations.
The Tokina 11 - 16mm f2,8 is in the Nikon chart with 50mm extension, in the Canon with 60mm, both for tee 8,5" dome.
For sure the Canon style lens is 3mm longer, but then i would be better to combinate 25 + 30mm, or?
The Tokina 10 - 17mm is in the N85 chart only with the 4,33" mini dome....
So which would be the best big dome with the Sigma or Metabone adapter, and which lenght?

I have some ports and try now to figure out a small system with a Sony A6300, and have to find out which N85 to N120 and extensions would be the best solution.
But my Nikon dslr rig is Hugy, so i can not compare it ;-))
Any discussion is welcome.

Thanks a lot,
Wolfgang

Edited by trimix125

The critical factor is not "fit". It is the "nodal" point of the light coming through the port (especially wide angle). I've found Nauticam Technical capable in lens/port selections. Google "nodal point" in photography. I know one of the builders and this is their major complaints with customers; ignoring this factor. https://oceanity.com.au/blog/view/dome-port-positioning-visualiser-the-entrance-pupil

Hi Bill,
but the entrance point should not change, thats why i want to know the measurements.
Maybe not the right explaining from my side...
When i use the same Tokina 10 - 17mm on a Canon DX or on a Sony DX the inside port to lens distance should be the same.
The projection of the picture should not change. Only the lenght of the tube behind the curved part is a different one, since i have to use the Metabone adapter.
But in the lens chart is no bigger port for the N85 system, and the only reason i could figure out, would maybe the force of the bigger port against the smaller housing / port connecting N85 vs N120. For dslr you can use from 4,33"" to big ones.
I have been using this lens in the Hugy housing with a Zen 100mm dome or the Hugy fish eye dome.
Different radius, different distance, ok.
But if i use it on different systems, which would work in the charts for DX dslr, it should work for a DX mirrorles with the same port as long as i take the same distance.
Hope i write it now clearer ;-))

Regards,
Wolfgang

The way it works is that the part of the port system that hosts the metabones is what equalises the mount and then you can use the canon chart. If you don't use that adapter it is not possible to control the zoom on the tokina

Adapter is 50mm flange difference is 44-18=26 this is covered by the metabone the other 24 mm is because lenses in DSLR bodies are more recessed than E-mount

You must keep the first adapter as is and you can change the rest. in the case of tokina as the dome is one piece there is nothing you can change. if you wanted to use the 4.33 acrylic dome generic you need 20mm extension if I recall correctly

And the reason you need the adapter is because the tokina does not fit in the N85 

Edited by Interceptor121

Hi Interceptor,
this is what i wanted to know and thought how it could work. Thanks!
The lenght difference results from the Metabone adapter, but the radius / port tio lens form factor should stay the same.
A posibillity in that case would be to use the N85 to N120 35,5mm adapter and add the 10mm extension to my 8,5" dome.
That would be nearly the same as the Dslr with 20mm extension and the 26mm for the Metabone adapter.

And to compaire the other lens / port combos that are not in the N85mm chart, i wanted to know the Nikon N120 and the Sony N100 both style flange differences. So i can figure out what makes sense, what to buy and add to my list.

Regards,
Wolfgang

If you need to zoom the lens it won't grip. This is the reason to use the adapter as is with the 50mm you can change anything else but that part can't unless you 3D print extensions to the zoom gear

Hi,
thanks for the info!
Found now that i have to use either the 34,7mm adapter and 10mm, because the 35,5 is a N100 to N120...
Or i buy the 45mm N85 to N120 adapter.... That one is more expensive, on the other side gives me direct the 45mm without any other rings and has a zoom knob that maybe works...
The 140mm glas dome port would be nice, but then again to long.
Have the 60mm adapter, that is fine for the 90mm macro, but too long for the domes.

Time to think...
Regards,
Wolfgang

Hi,
thanks for the info!
Found now that i have to use either the 34,7mm adapter and 10mm, because the 35,5 is a N100 to N120...
Or i buy the 45mm N85 to N120 adapter.... That one is more expensive, on the other side gives me direct the 45mm without any other rings and has a zoom knob that maybe works...
The 140mm glas dome port would be nice, but then again to long.
Have the 60mm adapter, that is fine for the 90mm macro, but too long for the domes.

Time to think...
Regards,
Wolfgang

The 34.7 mm is for the MFT metabones adapter that is smaller than the Sony emount
Looking at the port chart the adapter is 50mm you can see it at last page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hi,
Was doing my calculation in the wrong direction....

the Tokina 10 - 17mm is for the 4,33" mini dome port planned with 50mm adapter on the Nex / Axxx housings.
For the Canon Dslr its only the 4,33" mini dome, or plus 20mm for the 8,5" dome.

I have the 60mm adapter and the 8,5"mm dome, so i need only the 10 extension ;-))
The 20 & 40mm extension are laying around, but no fitting port either...

Regards,
Wolfgang

Yes this calculation appears correct however the 10mm extension is semifixed and goes with screws so once fitted you are pretty much done with it and it will be a permanent feature

I would not use the 8.5" with the tokina unless you want to do split shots

The setup is a temporary thing....
Have to reduce weight now for some time because of medical reasons with my hand.

Thats the only Nauticam WA dome i have in the moment, and a very universal one.
If i can find a Zen mini dome port fitting from the old changeable style, i could use that...
Mine is Hugy....
For the Hugy i have a big fish eye dome, a small one, and an Athena 170mm with S&S fitting and adapter.
Plus some macro ports..

Other ports are the flatport 72 for the 18 - 55mm and the 6omm adapter plus 60mm extension for the 90mm macro.

Plan would be to get a Nikon Z DX setup, but will wait for the next generation...
Than i can reduce to only Nikon...

I have used the 8.5 with tokina on a Nikon D7200 is very big and floaty nice for splits and not much else but it will work

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements