Anyone ever use this housing as Im currently saving for it for my Canon EOS R with a Macro and Wide Angle set up.
I currently use an Ikelite Housing for my Canon 5D Mark iii, but im not mad about it.

Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 16.17.44.png

As you can tell by reading this, it comes down to user experience/choice. However, Nauticam and Subal tend to lead the class.

• Like 1

Another data point here: 

Issue is trying to use the single fibre optic port to trigger two strobes and it's not working.  It is a different version of the housing so check if the housing you are looking at uses this same arrangement.  Also check port availability.  With luck you may find a user who can comment from experience.

• Like 2

Thank you guys, appreciate the links and have read them. I looked around in other places like subal and nauticam, and i cant afford those products :( 

Diarmuid

Don't give up on Subal and Nauticam too quickly,. They are superb and second hand prices can be very good. Reckon on paying approx 30% of a new one for a housing which takes the "last" camera model. For example you can probably find a Nikon D800 housing for a really good price.

Subal have a second hand section on their website. Check out too the Classifieds here on WP and on UWP magazine.

8 minutes ago, TimG said:

Diarmuid

Don't give up on Subal and Nauticam too quickly,. They are superb and second hand prices can be very good. Reckon on paying approx 30% of a new one for a housing which takes the "last" camera model. For example you can probably find a Nikon D800 housing for a really good price.

Subal have a second hand section on their website. Check out too the Classifieds here on WP and on UWP magazine.

Thanks Tim, Ill have a quick look now, I think Ive kinda made up my mind and will probably go with the new NiMar Pro housing for my Canon EOS R 

No worries

Diamond, not easy I appreciate, but if you can try one of the others out first, it'd be well worth it. Not sure where the UW dealers are in Ireland - if there are any though.

Nope none here in Ireland, we have to import everything, and the UK just left the EU also so im guessing we will have to pay customs now and anything from the UK 

Well not before 31 Dec 2020.

But you can always buy from the EU. Check out onderwaterhuis (see link) in the Netherlands. Subal are in Austria so no problem there either.

https://www.uwcamerastore.com/?SID=flkskmgb2uk54i6ab8a34fi415&___store=default&___from_store=nl&_ga=2.1104369.1917287655.1581866917-1628411502.1581866917

I use them quite a bit

awesome thanks Tim

I got a Nimar housing for the RP a few weeks ago. I'm very happy about it. 

I also posted about the strobe issues but it turned out that their Inon supplier send them bad quality cables. New ones are on the way free of charge.

The support from Nimar was very good so far, before buying, while shipping and also afterwards to find the strobe issue. The housing was basically ready to go and it is ergonomic. I also looked at ikelite vs Nimar and went with Nimar in the end, because of recommendations of friends, for price reasons and also since their support was way better than ikelite when I asked questions. It's ergonomic and you don't need to buy every single piece extra (like a trigger extension for the shutter or a handle for the right side as an example). They try to be compatible with everything else that is out on the market, something that ikelite tries to make sure you get the whole set from them, including cables and strobes.
Also get the vacuum system, it's worth it.

It seems to me that the picture you posted is of the "Pro" series of Nimar. I could not find it anymore on their website but they have the white housing for the R and the RA. I assume that the pro -series is of a higher quality but the white housings are very good and I actually prefer a clear backplate so I can see the o-ring.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Patric_Ocean said:

I got a Nimar housing for the RP a few weeks ago. I'm very happy about it. 

I also posted about the strobe issues but it turned out that their Inon supplier send them bad quality cables. New ones are on the way free of charge.

The support from Nimar was very good so far, before buying, while shipping and also afterwards to find the strobe issue. The housing was basically ready to go and it is ergonomic. I also looked at ikelite vs Nimar and went with Nimar in the end, because of recommendations of friends, for price reasons and also since their support was way better than ikelite when I asked questions. It's ergonomic and you don't need to buy every single piece extra (like a trigger extension for the shutter or a handle for the right side as an example). They try to be compatible with everything else that is out on the market, something that ikelite tries to make sure you get the whole set from them, including cables and strobes.
Also get the vacuum system, it's worth it.

It seems to me that the picture you posted is of the "Pro" series of Nimar. I could not find it anymore on their website but they have the white housing for the R and the RA. I assume that the pro -series is of a higher quality but the white housings are very good and I actually prefer a clear backplate so I can see the o-ring.

Hi Patric,

Ya i ended up going with the Pro version, with the vacuum system and alarm, I also got two fiber optic cables, two nimar arms, macro flat port, 8" acrylic dome, extension and zoom gear.

I am curious as to why the pro housing is no longer available

I mailed NiMar today about the housing not being on the website anymore and long story short I bought the last one they made because of the cost is too much to make them. 

Ill post the dialog here:

Diarmuid - I was having a discussion on Wetpixel about Nimar housings and one the users was saying the Pro housing is no longer available for the Canon EOS R. I was just wondering why ? As I'll be doing an episode  about the housing on my YouTube channel and I wanted to get as much info as possible, I'll send ye a link when its finished.

NiMar - Hi Diarmuid, We're processing your order. Yes Pro housing line will be discontinued. This is only for economy reasons in fact it is not easy to produce a similar affordable product here in Italy, and at the moment the underwater market does not allow us to raise any price. However don't worry, We're able to guarantee assistance and spares in the future.

Sponsors

Advertisements