Blindmonkee

GoPro Rig Buoyancy

I've spent a lot of time with my photo rig making sure it's close to neutral at depth. It doesn't seem like it's as important for GoPros? any opinions on that? I use a BtS tray with two 2600 Big Blue video lights with my Hero 7. Is there an easy way to add floats to this kind of rig without adding too much clutter?

I personally haven't found it necessary to mess with the buoyancy of a GoPro setup.  I suppose you could add Stix floats to the arms if you really wanted to make it neutral.  I have a Hero 6 on a Ultralight tray with 2x Sola 3800F lights and it's not a bother even though it's negatively buoyant.  The whole setup is so compact it can dangle from my BC if need be.

I agree that buoyancy for a GoPro with video light(s) on a tray probably not that vital.  I think a good way to attach your rig so that you don't drop/lose is it more important.  Definitely have heard my share of people losing their GoPros myself included.  Lost a GoPro 7 doing a giant stride during a night dive.  Got to the bottom and wanted to start filming something and realized I did not have the housing screw on tight enough it was gone ....oh my.  

For wide angle with my Go Pro Hero 7 Black in the standard Go Pro Dive Housing, I'm shooting with one Video Light Blackstar BS30 (Plan to buy a 2nd), I'm using the Backscatter Flip system for macro.  I'm mostly diving on reefs and walls in Scotland tried adding the large Stix floats to my Ultralight arm and this had made the system easier to handle for the Macro Shots is now just slightly negative - not quite perfect. I've added a Gorillapod base to help with this and also handy for mounting on wrecks ( I have added a cord for it as it has a tendency to unscrew in strong currents when I'm focusing on managing the DSMB on Ascents).

IMG_0865.jpg

In my opinion it's as important to balance the action camera rig as in case of a bigger setup, or even more important because the actioncameras in small housings are more dense and easier to shake. This is my current rig with 2 action cameras (yi 4K, firefly 8SE 90 degree) and 2 lamps. Besides the 2 floating arms I also fine tuned it with DIY modified bouys used for fishing nets as a very cheap (removable) option. You can see that the one attached to the smaller lamp was cut.

actioncam_rig.thumb.jpg.3d93879fe69bd6bf4f40599bff30d993.jpg

2 minutes ago, gobiodon said:

In my opinion it's as important to balance the action camera rig as in case of a bigger setup, or even more important because the actioncameras in small housings are more dense and easier to shake. This is my current rig with 2 action cameras (yi 4K, firefly 8SE 90 degree) and 2 lamps. Besides the 2 floating arms I also fine tuned it with DIY modified bouys used for fishing nets as a very cheap (removable) option. You can see that the one attached to the smaller lamp was cut.

actioncam_rig.thumb.jpg.3d93879fe69bd6bf4f40599bff30d993.jpg

Interesting, did you make a conscious decision to go with two different lights rather than a matched pair?  

Not really, it was more a decision, dictated by the budget (or luck of it). I've already upgraded the small lamp to a bigger one.

The optimal solution is, of course, two identical lamps.

Sponsors

Advertisements