Mehmet Gungen

Is continuous light source becoming an option for photo with newer cameras?

I remember that in the past i read several articles in which it was explained that even a powerful torch could hardly provide as much light a strobe provides within 1/1000 of a second or so. Thus torches not being an option for photography.

Two weeks ago during my stay in Bali i had a minor leak in my housing which was detected by the housing leak detector. I was at approximately 20 meters when this happened. I immediately cancelled dive and surfaced. In order to prevent a camera damage i was holding my 105mm macro port down. I realised on the way to surface my Inon's connected to housing via optical fiber cords were firing all the time.

I immediately opened housing cleaned and dried everything. However i realised that the electronic circuit in the housing was not lighting the led's for optical cords. Thus the strobes were not firing. I also tried alternative wire connection between housing bulkhead and strobes. However this also did not work. I had spare strobe, spare optical cords, wire connection for a failure of the optical cord etc. The only spare i did not have was the electronic circuit which was damaged. I still had more than a week of dives and i was left without strobes.

I had a very sceptical mood when Graham Abbott(Diving4images) who arranged my dives and have been my guide in Bali told me that the worse case option would be the use of torch. The same day as a coincidence at the dive site we have met Ajiex Dharma who told us that he could supply one Minigear MS-03 snoot torch.

The next day in the morning i was diving with this tiny torch as my main light source. 

IMG_8199.thumb.jpg.d909aa7d322c615cb245d56105c47233.jpg

After the first dive i understood that it would be more practical for me to use  the torch either attached to a gorillapod 5K or hand held by Graham. 

My camera is a Nikon D850. In order to be able to freeze the movement i shot all my photos both macro and supermacro(105mm lens with +5 /+10 wet diopters) with high ISO values such as 1000 - 1250. With these ISO values i was able to shoot 1/160 - 1/320 with diaphragms from f/16 to f/32.

To my surprise, I think that i have images of acceptable quality(even though not potential contest winners) and the torch saved my trip.

Here are a few images i shot with this setup. 

Photos with Snoot Torch

Would be happy to hear comments or similar experiences. 

Edited by Mehmet Gungen

It’s an option with macro, but beside the obvious disadvantage of less light (which is the reason wide angle won’t work) you also lose the benefit of the fast light output of strobes. 

Good that it saved your dive trip!

Hyp, I agree that it is not the ideal option for sure. But a tiny but torch with ability to illuminate a small area with high intensity and a camera with good high ISO performance can be a good B Plan for macro and supermacro. 

6 minutes ago, TimG said:

Good that it saved your dive trip!

Yes, this is the best part. In the future i shall be travelling with a spare electronic circuit(which can purely fire strobes with wire connection) and with this snoot torch.(in addition to all other spare stuff i have been carrying) 

18 minutes ago, Mehmet Gungen said:

Yes, this is the best part. In the future i shall be travelling with a spare electronic circuit(which can purely fire strobes with wire connection) and with this snoot torch.(in addition to all other spare stuff i have been carrying) 

The spare stuff? Yeah, I know that feeling!

Which make of spare electronic circuit will you choose for your Subal housing?

2 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

Which make of spare electronic circuit will you choose for your Subal housing?

I procured my housing with the TTL V3 Circuit for Nikon. Even though i never used TTL underwater. Just in case to have it as an option. For me this circuit is for translating the electrical impulse from camera hotshoe to optical signal by lighting two led's on the housing front.

After this incident i changed my circuit with a new one and also obtained an early version of subal circuits which only transfers the electrical signal from camera hotshoe to two bulkheads. Since it is very simple i think it will hardly get broken. I think it is a good B plan provided that one has to has the cables (in addition to optical fiber cords)

2 hours ago, TimG said:

The spare stuff? Yeah, I know that feeling!

:D

Sponsors

Advertisements