I have an Ikelite housing for my Sony A6500. I need to have the door that covers the HDMI and USB ports removed. There's not enough room in the Ike housing to leave the door open. Has anyone done this?  Thanks in advance. 

You did not say why you need the door open. That is unusual for this camera. With that said the "doors" on cameras are held in place by small pins. You can either cut the pin or attempt to compress it so the door "pops" off.

Hi Hory. Yes, I have removed the USB/HDMI door from my A6500 because the camera would not fit into my housing with the door open (in my case, this was for a for a remote shooting setup with external monitor/battery). To remove the door non-destructively, you have to disassemble the camera a little. It's been several years, but if I remember correctly once you get the back of the camera off you can slide the metal rod out of the hinge and then remove the door. If you are comfortable disassembling cameras, here are instructions for disassembling the A6300 (they will also work for the A6500). I think you only have to get to the 6th photo in those instructions to be able to remove the USB/HDMI door. However, please be aware that there is the potential to mix up screws or damage the camera during disassembly, so I only recommend this for those who are comfortable/experienced doing this type of stuff.

Hi Bill1946.  Apologies.  I need to remove the door so I can gain access to the USB and HDMI ports.  USB so that I can charge the camera battery without disassembly of the camera from the housing.  It's a pain to take the camera and lens out.  Especially with a 90mm macro lens!  The HDMI port I need access to so that I can connect it to a Dive and See external monitor.  

Isaac, thanks for much for this!  I will see if I am comfortable doing this or will have the Sony service center do this for me.  Let you guys know how it goes.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I went to the Sony service center and asked if I could have the door removed. They said Sony doesn't allow this kind of work unless it is to replace the door. Geez. 

The tear down to get to the door looks like a lot of screws and cable pulling. Am not quite up to it.  Might not get the camera to work after. Am thinking of using a Dremel to cut the door.  I figured, I have never sold any of my old camera gear so most likely I will keep this camera till it dies on me. 

Edited by Hory

Well that's very unhelpful of them. I'd be happy to do it for you for minimal cost. It's really easy for a camera technician like myself, only takes around 10 minutes. However, I doubt you'll want to do that considering the cost/time of international shipping. If you were to do it yourself, you would indeed have to keep track of more than a dozen screws, but it doesn't necessarily require any cable pulling. That said, if you aren't concerned with affecting the resale value of the camera, then probably the easiest option is to just break/cut it out. 

Do you have any independent camera service operations in your area?  I would expect they might be happy to do the work?

Isaac, am not comfortable going through the steps.  Fear of messing it up.  If I had a drowned A6500, I would use it as my lab rat to gain confidence in doing the tear down to get to the door.  Yes, the cost of shipping the camera over would cost a bundle too from where I am.  But thanks for the information.  Much appreciated.  I will go use my trusty Dremel and cut out the door.  

Chris, yes we got several independents but I haven't heard of any good work from friends who went that route with their cameras.  Instead of risking it, cutting the door out might be less intrusive and less risk in terms of getting the camera to remain working.

Posted (edited)

Hi,
from looking to my A6300, if you use the Dremel,
you only have to cut the hinges on the outer sides of the door.
Or use a fine milling cutter to remove them as close as possible to the metal axis, and then break it carefully out.
So a Sony repair center can if needed, easy reinstall a new door.
If possible install a vacuum cleaner close, so the plastic particles get caught.
Regards,
Wolfgang

Edited by trimix125

Sponsors

Advertisements