uptown

1" Sensor Compact vs GoPro: How Noticeable?

I am hoping to understand from your experience what level of jump in video quality I could be expecting going from a GoPro to a compact camera with a 1" sensor?  While I expect there to be an improvement - I don't have a good sense for how much of an improvement there is. What can these 1" sensor compact cameras (be the Sony, Panasonic's or Canon) produce that is not possible with a latest series GoPro? 

___

I am currently looking at potentially upgrading from a GoPro setup (tray + 2 x Weefine 3800 video lights) to a compact camera with 1" sensor set up (most likely a Canon G7X MkIII in Nauticam housing - but still undecided).  Would also be getting a wide angle lens and a macro lens (all in it's looking to be ~US$3k set up cost).  Also I typically edit 4k at the highest bit rate available in FCP.  

Thanks for any insights you can provide!

I've gone from the 1/2.3' or 5.6 crop factor (GoPro) to 4/3 and now 1" Sony Camcorder in 4K.  The 1" Sony is simply remarkable. I'm moving to Full Frame Sony this year. Simply speaking I can see the quality and improved detail in larger sensors. However, with the higher end cameras, one has to utilize good technique to produce high results. GoPro and other cameras with new camera sensors us Computational photography that help with low light and high dynamic range scenes. The point & shoot video cameras are able to shoot multiple shots and combine them. The processing is getting sophisticated enough that this can even be done with moving subjects, without the user realizing that this is what their camera is doing. I have found that I capture better detail and dynamic range (color detail) with larger sensors and recommend the largest sensor you can afford for serious video composition. Check out the graphic attached.

a5SKT.png

Edited by bill1946
spelling

The transition from GoPro to a normal camera can be frustrating. The GoPro is a fixed focus camera you just go around and snap away. Image quality in simple terms is crap however it is extremely easy to use.

Cameras have higher image quality can white balance and are more versatile however you need to get to grips with the fact that you need to understand the basics of depth of field and ports otherwise you will end up with many blurred shots.

The investment from GoPro to camera with wet lens (mandatory for video) is significant so consider that carefully

Sponsors

Advertisements