Sign in to follow this  
Akoni

Nikon Z6 for video...any feedback?

There have been numerous changes for the Z cameras lately. With the improved AF and pseudo-raw video capture, I am interested to hear some feedback on the viability of the Z6 for UW video work. Has the AF improved sufficiently to be considered reliable under appropriate use scenarios? Does the raw capture provide tangible benefit over what you can get with in camera recording?

I’m about to send my Z6 off for the update to develop some feel for the raw workflow on land.

What are your thoughts?

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but thought you might appreciate another's experience. I'm a dedicated underwater video guy. I've tried all types of camera's for video with all their claims. However,  I was never quiet satisfied with a number of things. It was not until I got a decent value priced pro video camera in a Gates Housing shooting 4K at 30p as I was MORE than happy. There are big differences in the build and performance.  I also opted for the Gates Wide angle port.

Edited by bill1946
  • Like 1

For full frame video you need a solution like WACP that will resolve focus problems

If you are prepared to do that you do not need AF but only some few thousands dollars

On 2/26/2020 at 3:08 PM, bill1946 said:

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but thought you might appreciate another's experience. I'm a dedicated underwater video guy. I've tried all types of camera's for video with all their claims. However,  I was never quiet satisfied with a number of things. It was not until I got a decent value priced pro video camera in a Gates Housing shooting 4K at 30p as I was MORE than happy. There are big differences in the build and performance.  I also opted for the Gates Wide angle port.

I really enjoyed my VX700 outfit back in the early....maybe that was like 2002? And editing on tape was kind of a blast. We currently have a Z90 as well and Gates does make a housing for it. I’d like to kill the two birds with the one stone however. 

13 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

For full frame video you need a solution like WACP that will resolve focus problems

If you are prepared to do that you do not need AF but only some few thousands dollars

Having recently made the investment in a WACP, that horse has left the barn. On a D500 currently and it remains a fantastic stills camera. The 4k crop however is a tad brutal which is why I’m considering my next camera.

Having recently made the investment in a WACP, that horse has left the barn. On a D500 currently and it remains a fantastic stills camera. The 4k crop however is a tad brutal which is why I’m considering my next camera.

Full benefit of WACP are for full frame but sure there will be some for APSC
I would go big tho as you made a significant expenditure and the return will be higher on larger sensor
APSC having a tokina zoom fisheye I think WACP has less benefit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

Full benefit of WACP are for full frame but sure there will be some for APSC
I would go big tho as you made a significant expenditure and the return will be higher on larger sensor
APSC having a tokina zoom fisheye I think WACP has less benefit

That is the plan. However, we are at a transitional point with regard to FF MILC’s currently and I want to do my homework before jumping into a FF MILC system for UW use. I am not a fan of Sony MILC’s, so it is down to Panasonic, Nikon or Canon. 

1 minute ago, Akoni said:

That is the plan. However, we are at a transitional point with regard to FF MILC’s currently and I want to do my homework before jumping into a FF MILC system for UW use. I am not a fan of Sony MILC’s, so it is down to Panasonic, Nikon or Canon. 

Panasonic, Nikon or Canon ---> You will be waiting for some time I think. IQ is there is the rest that isn't for those player

Sony is ahead on focus and usability at least 2 years. We need to see what Canon will do they are the only one with the means to catch up

Sorry I forgot this is for video then forget about Nikon and Sony and go Panasonic

On 2/26/2020 at 9:08 PM, bill1946 said:

I could not agree more with this.  I had a Sony AX100 in a Gates housing years back. Then I changed to Panasonic GH5 setup. Never warmed up to it.  Now I am back to Sony camcorder, this time the Z90 in a Gates housing - and I‘m a happy fellow again :-)

On 2/28/2020 at 6:25 PM, bubffm said:

I could not agree more with this.  I had a Sony AX100 in a Gates housing years back. Then I changed to Panasonic GH5 setup. Never warmed up to it.  Now I am back to Sony camcorder, this time the Z90 in a Gates housing - and I‘m a happy fellow again :-)

I think the pitfall of anyone coming from camcorders is to buy rectilinear lenses and domes for video. This is the n 1 culprit for frustration and poor results. Of course in terms of ergonomics nothing beats a dedicated video camera however using wet lenses brings a digital camera pretty much to the same point net of some small quirks

And to make matters worse underwater photography shops keep recommending those set ups which shows a total lack of understanding of the subject

On 2/28/2020 at 1:25 PM, bubffm said:

Do you have sample footage from the Z90 posted anywhere? 

I recommend a read on wetpixel.es where my friend Juan Monterey has a lot of material on this set up

14 hours ago, Akoni said:

Do you have sample footage from the Z90 posted anywhere? 

Not yet. Was a bit busy with all sorts of projects.  I'll get something out. Cant promise when---

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

I recommend a read on wetpixel.es where my friend Juan Monterey has a lot of material on this set up

Yes, Juan has put out quite a bit on the Z90.  I am not entirely on his line re. the settings on this camera.  I still very much prefer richer colors of the the CINE profiles over HLG  - unless you're in very shallow water.  HLG is in my view not suitable for underwater filming due to the lack of grading/ color correction headroom.

Sorry, a bit off topic on a Nikon Z6 thread...

Edited by bubffm

Yes, Juan has put out quite a bit on the Z90.  I am not entirely on his line re. the settings on this camera.  I still very much prefer richer colors of the the CINE profiles over HLG  - unless you're in very shallow water.  HLG is in my view not suitable for underwater filming due to the lack of grading/ color correction headroom.

Sure my intention was just to give a few links
Juan and I are having discussions about HLG or not that is a whole topic but nonetheless I think it gives an idea of the camera capabilities
No specific endorsement just links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, bubffm said:

Not yet. Was a bit busy with all sorts of projects.  I'll get something out. Cant promise when---

I have seen some of the clips posted to YT by Juan M. During my search for a quasi-review of the Gates housing. What do you think of the housing itself? Stability in the water, ease of transportation, controls?

it may be worth noting that this is a 1" sensor and therefore smaller not only compared to full frame but also to APSC and MFT so totally different direction from the start of this thread

1 hour ago, Interceptor121 said:

it may be worth noting that this is a 1" sensor and therefore smaller not only compared to full frame but also to APSC and MFT so totally different direction from the start of this thread

Indeed. However, two people have suggested the camcorder solution they chose so I wanted to hear more of their perspective even if that is not the way I plan to go.

At the moment, my ‘choices’ for a FF dual use rig in the near term are going to be down to the Z6 or an A7iii, with the A7iii having a drastically unfair advantage (for me) over the Z6 in that, by chance, I have a housing for the A7iii at my disposal. Unfortunately there hasn’t been much recent discussion on FF MILC’s of the more dual purpose variety (sane resolution sensors with good video capability) lately. Then there is the Panasonic S1....

16 minutes ago, Akoni said:

Indeed. However, two people have suggested the camcorder solution they chose so I wanted to hear more of their perspective even if that is not the way I plan to go.

At the moment, my ‘choices’ for a FF dual use rig in the near term are going to be down to the Z6 or an A7iii, with the A7iii having a drastically unfair advantage (for me) over the Z6 in that, by chance, I have a housing for the A7iii at my disposal. Unfortunately there hasn’t been much recent discussion on FF MILC’s of the more dual purpose variety (sane resolution sensors with good video capability) lately. Then there is the Panasonic S1....

If I recall you have the WACP then you should stay on FF with the A7RIII

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Akoni said:

I have seen some of the clips posted to YT by Juan M. During my search for a quasi-review of the Gates housing. What do you think of the housing itself? Stability in the water, ease of transportation, controls?

The housing is superb, particulary in conjunction with the Gates Wide Angle port.  You get sharp pictures form edge to edge. It is completely neutrally buoyant if you use it by itself.  Helps tremendously to achieve stable footage.  Onthe right side, the manual white balance button is right next to the record trigger and the zoom trigger.  You do your white balance and press shot.  Takes just a second.   There is a custom button that you can configure yourself.

On the left you have buttons and a control wheel for your IRIS, ISO, Shutter, Focus. The autofocus is great, btw. What you cannot do is going deep into the camera menus to change settings.  but I dont really need that. On land, you can use the sony remote to change settigns without openng the housing between dives.  The battery gets you through 3 dives easily. 

Add a Saga flip adapter with a wet diopter and you are all set from pygmy seahores to whalesharks with one setup. No fiddling with lenses, ports, extension rings, gears and whatever else....

Edited by bubffm

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements