Sign in to follow this  
pandit

Mixed strobes on a TG-5

Hello, I'm new here and just wrote an introduction on myself. I have some (50 years) experience with photography, but only 3 under water. At the moment with a TG5 and the PT-58 housing and  a cheap 60led diving light. I made great pictures with this set. I want to make better ones with lower ISO rates. I bought a SEA&SEA YS03-Solis TTL strobe and have an older SEA&SEA YS-25-DX from a friend to try. Despite my long photography experience I'm a newbie with underwater strobes. I have these strobes a couple of weeks and haven't dive since then.

My Question

The new strobe have TTL , the second one not. Can I mixed these by using the second one as a slave of the first one? I also wander if these strobes comparable, The YS03 is the 2020model and the YS-25 is from 2003, The light temperature is the same

I think it will be pretty difficult to get consistent exposures with a combination of only manual and only auto strobes. However, you may be just fine with a single strobe to begin with. I started with a single YS-02 (same as the YS-03 but only manual instead of only auto) on a Panasonic LX7. Until you add a wet wide lens, a single strobe will be able to cover the whole scene. In addition you will learn a lot more about strobe positioning when you are only using a single one. 

I can't tell you anything about the YS-25, but I'm sure more experienced photographers here will know more.

20 minutes ago, hyp said:

I think it will be pretty difficult to get consistent exposures with a combination of only manual and only auto strobes. However, you may be just fine with a single strobe to begin with. I started with a single YS-02 (same as the YS-03 but only manual instead of only auto) on a Panasonic LX7. Until you add a wet wide lens, a single strobe will be able to cover the whole scene. In addition you will learn a lot more about strobe positioning when you are only using a single one. 

I can't tell you anything about the YS-25, but I'm sure more experienced photographers here will know more.

As hinted above, the YS 25dx is a manual only strobe. It is "digital ready" in that it has a control that allows you to manually select how many preflashes your camera produces.

So it can be configured to fire reliably, but it will always produce the same amount of light, regardless of the TTL needs of your current shot. This is likely to greatly confuse your camera as (I strongly believe) it will not preflash and then provide extra light during the real exposure.

The guide number of the YS-25 is only 15 and is likely to just act as fill in, but getting a repeatable result may be a little challenging as the output will be right only for a specific YS-03 output, which may move around with different subjects.  Probably simpler to use a single strobe initially. 

You could get a YS-01 down the track and use it to trigger the YS-03 via fibre optic cable and have a full manual setup then as the YS-03 would mimic the duration of the YS-01 each time it triggered.

This question gets asked every now and then and the answer is always the same

Can you use different strobes? Yes

Should you use different strobes? No

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 5:37 PM, giffenk said:

As hinted above, the YS 25dx is a manual only strobe. It is "digital ready" in that it has a control that allows you to manually select how many preflashes your camera produces.

So it can be configured to fire reliably, but it will always produce the same amount of light, regardless of the TTL needs of your current shot. This is likely to greatly confuse your camera as (I strongly believe) it will not preflash and then provide extra light during the real exposure.

Yep, I've used YS-25's for a few years and on setting 1 it will fire on the first (pre) camera flash but only have enough juice for the second (exposure) camera flash on very low power with a very pale subject.

Put it on setting 2 (as Pandit presumably has been) and use both strobes on manual (well, the YS-25 will try to adapt to the scene brightness).

After one of my YS-25's died I got an Inon S2000 and that combination seemd to work OK (Inon in manual), but I've only been on one trip since then so can't claim a wealth of experience.

Thanks for all the information. I will give it a try. Also thanks to Interceptor121 for the additional links. I'm also afraid that my camera became confused, and as a newbie in underwater strobe photographer it's maybe better to start with the TTL strobe to get some experience.  

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements