Sign in to follow this  
TimG

Kenko 1.4 TC plus WA lens combinations

There's been some discussion of late of various combinations of lenses with a Kenko 1.4TC: what works, what doesn't.

I've got  both the Kenko 1.4TC DG and DGX models, a Nikon D500, a D6, the Tokina 10-17 and the Nikkor 8-15. I thought Wetpixelers might find it useful to see the results of the various combinations. 

What works is in bold.

D500 (DX)

D500 + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DG + Tokina 10-17: AF works; no vignetting at any focal length

D500 + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DGX + Tokina 10-17: AF works; no vignetting at any focal length

D500 + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DG + Nikkor 8-15: Err message. No AF; no vignetting at any focal length

D500 + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DGX + Nikkor 8-15: AF works; no vignetting at any focal length

Nikon Z6 (and, presumably D7) with firmware 3.0

Z6 + FTZ + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DG + Nikkor 8-15: AF works; vignettes with hood attached after 11

Z6 + FTZ + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DGX + Nikkor 8-15: No AF; No aperture readout; vignettes with hood attached after 11

Z6 + FTZ + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DG + Tokina 10-17 : No AF; aperture read out; vignettes with hood attached after 11

Z6 + FTZ + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DGX + Tokina 10-17 : No AF; No aperture read out; vignettes with hood attached after 11

Conclusion

a. If you want to use the Kenko with a Tokina 10-17 on a D500 no problem with the DG or DGX model

b. If you want to use the Kenko with a Nikkor 8-15 on a D500, you need the DGX model

c. If you want to use the Kenko with a Nikkor 8-15 on a Z6/Z7 you need the DG model

d. Forget trying to use either the Kenko DG or DGX with a Tokina 10-17 on the Z6/Z7 (well why would you anyway)

I don't have the Kenko HD model so can't comment on that but perhaps if someone has, they could add the data for that.

Hope this helps, guys

Tim

Nikon D800 (FX):

Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DGX  + Nikkor 8-15, AF works (only used at 15mm, no vignetting)

Interesting, Robin. So the DGX works with the D800 and D500 but not the Z6.

44 minutes ago, Scotzh said:

Thank you for sharing Tim

My pleasure. Confusing stuff!

For canon, on a Canon 70d the DGX 1,4 works with 10-17mm.  Altough macro, it will work with a 100mm f2.8 USM macro (not the L variant), but you have to disable back or frontfocus correction or the camera wont react.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements