DiverStu

Inon Coated Glass Doom & Cover Advise

I purchased a Inon Doom for my LX10 setup which is made of a coated glass. I also purchased a Dome Port Cover S. The cover is made of neoprene and the manufacture has warnings that seem to contradict one another, either not to put it on while on land or only when it's dry. Last trip I made a cover for while I was on the boat made out of a very large plastic soup cup and some Velcro. This was cumbersome and a bit of a PITA. Here is the product description and the couple different warnings I found:

• The Dome Port Cover S is made of neoprene as same as wet suits. It is recommended to cover compatible dome lens all the time to prevent accidental damage unless shooting images. The Dome Port Cover S has slits on its top and bottom to help easy and speedy installation/removal on a dome lens/port equipped with a hood.
  • *Never put wet lens cover on compatible lens/port on land. Doing so may cause degradation of the lens coating or glass itself resulting in spotting or discoloration.
  • Please do not put this product on compatible lens/port if either of them is not completely dry to avoid degradation of lens coating or lens material itself resulting in sport/burn

My question is it best to have the cover on dry, enter the water, remove while shooting, and then put back on before I leave the water? Should I be concerned with leaving the cover on wet and impacting the lens coating? Any suggestions are appreciated. I can start working on a better hard cover design, but was hoping to just use the neoprene cover if I could do so without risk of damaging the lens, which would defeat the purpose of using a cover. :-)

I have the Inon UWL100 with dome, also glass. It came with a neoprene cover. Some covers are bare neoprene and others have a double fabric side. The bare neoprene type are less likely to scratch but do not dry once in place, but will dry quickly, left free, and then install. The fabric on both sides type dry slowly and seem "rougher" to me. 

So, put the cover on and enter the water. Remove cover and put it where it will not be lost. Dive over, replace cover for boarding and camera handling. Then place camera on the camera table and remove the cover and place a microfiber cloth over the lens, drape it over. Repeat process for each dive.

For storage, I cut a square of a microfiber cloth and when all is dry, place the mf cloth between the neoprene cover and lens.

My Inon UFL165AD has a hard cover as does my new Nauticam WWL-1. 

James

• Like 1

Thanks! this is helpful. I wish the UWL100 dome had a hard cover. I might still work on designing one. My first attempt worked, but was just not ideal.

20 minutes ago, DiverStu said:

Thanks! this is helpful. I wish the UWL100 dome had a hard cover. I might still work on designing one. My first attempt worked, but was just not ideal.

Share what you do if you get a good Idea.  I need to find a better solution for mine.

what they are trying to tell you is to not leave a wet cover on the dome and let it dry out.  The whole idea of the neoprene is you can leave it on as you get in and out of the boat and in the rinse tank for protection.  

What I do is leave it on the dome as I travel home till I soak the housing with the cover on.  If you leave the wet cover on it means the water on the dome won't evaporate and leave spots in the couple of hours it takes to get back home - or wherever I am staying. 

Putting it another way it keeps it wet till you can thoroughly rinse and salt free the dome with clean fresh water and then be in a position to completely dry it so the water droplets don't evaporate and leave a residue behind. 

• Thanks 1

Sponsors

Advertisements