Ok,

So who is hanging out for the Canon EOS R5? Right when I was thinking of buying an A7R4, news of this shows up... 

What has been released so far does look very impressive. 

Bevan 

• Like 1

We need to see real life performance. Right now Mirrorless full frame are lagging behind not on sensor quality but autofocus and ergonomics and lack of native lenses.

I think there is sufficient quality already in the field with plenty of camera that can take amazing features and this is not going to change much but could mark a milestones to transition to mirrorless full frame vast scale provided it works and there are lenses

Posted (edited)

I am watching the development of mirrorless FF camera bodies with interest. As Interceptor says, there is still little information about the photographic specifications of the R5 (I personally, have little interest in 8K video).

When the time is ripe (maybe 21 or 22, when these new bodies come at reasonable prices), I may well add a FF body to my UW system (currently my wife and me have Oly EM5II and EM1II with plenty of lenses and ports).

The real problem I foresee is the WA optics: currently we are using the Canon 8-15mm fisheye with 1x adapter and the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye with 0.71x speedbooster on our cameras. I find the results and optical quality spectacular (I dislike both the poor optical quality of rectilinear lenses off-center and the typical distortions (=stretching)). For FF no solution like the fisheye zooms on small sensor exists, maybe the WACP ports come close. A 15-35mm fisheye lens for FF would yield similar results and make FF highly desireable for me, but such a lens is nowhere in sight. At the moment I am not willing to invest in a WACP and drag this monster around the entire world. Before buying a FF body I will test out optical quality and AF performance of the Canon 8-15mm with Metabones 2x HD teleconverter. In case both are at satisfaction, this will be my WA solution for FF. In case it does not work, I probably never will go FF...

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

I am watching the development of mirrorless FF camera bodies with interest. As Interceptor says, there is still little information about the photographic specifications of the R5 (I personally, have little interest in 8K video).

When the time is ripe (maybe 21 or 22, when these new bodies come at reasonable prices), I may well add a FF body to my UW system (currently my wife and me have Oly EM5II and EM1II with plenty of lenses and ports).

The real problem I foresee is the WA optics: currently we are using the Canon 8-15mm fisheye with 1x adapter and the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye with 0.71x speedbooster on our cameras. I find the results and optical quality spectacular (I dislike both the poor optical quality of rectilinear lenses off-center and the typical distortions (=stretching)). For FF no solution like the fisheye zooms on small sensor exists, maybe the WACP ports come close. A 15-35mm fisheye lens for FF would yield similar results and make FF highly desireable for me, but such a lens is nowhere in sight. At the moment I am not willing to invest in a WACP and drag this monster around the entire world. Before buying a FF body I will test out optical quality and AF performance of the Canon 8-15mm with Metabones 2x HD teleconverter. In case both are at satisfaction, this will be my WA solution for FF. In case it does not work, I probably never will go FF...

Wolfgang

It’s interesting that you are using FF lenses/ports on your MFT bodies, can you describe why you chose that path? Which adapters are you using specifically and do you find the AF performance comparable to native MFT lenses?

Personally, I’m still not a total fan of mirrorless cameras mostly because I do not find EVF’s to my liking although they are being improved with every generation released. I am in ‘wait and see’ mode but I do hope that DSLR’s still see further development as I find the idea of a DSLR with a healthy dose of mirrorless tech appealing. Of course, the R5 may be the camera that tips the balance.

Edited by Akoni

Thanks to wolfgang efforts I adopted this solution and the performance is better than the native 8mm however this is mostly due to larger and heavier glass dome
I didn’t go for the tokina path as I wanted something without a lens

The rig build is here

https://interceptor121.com/2019/11/02/fisheye-zoom-for-micro-four-thirds/

Later on there are some test shots I took in the pool the results speak for themselves
I believe the APSC tokina solution and the Canon 8-15 on MFT are the best wide angle options and the MFT has even more zoom really impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

Thanks to wolfgang efforts I adopted this solution and the performance is better than the native 8mm however this is mostly due to larger and heavier glass dome
I didn’t go for the tokina path as I wanted something without a lens

The rig build is here

https://interceptor121.com/2019/11/02/fisheye-zoom-for-micro-four-thirds/

Later on there are some test shots I took in the pool the results speak for themselves
I believe the APSC tokina solution and the Canon 8-15 on MFT are the best wide angle options and the MFT has even more zoom really impressive

Nice links, thanks.

Sponsors

Advertisements