Morgan_Hearts_Of_Giants

Focus & Sharpness WWL-1 (Sony A7III + FE 28mm + WWL-1)

Hi everyone,

I just switched from this setup: Sony A6300 + Ikelite housing + Sony SEL 16-70mm F4 + dome 8'

To this one: Sony A7III + Nauticam housing + FE 28mm + WWL-1

While everything is fine when using the 28mm alone, I am struggling to have descent images with the WWL-1. I made few dives with it, and all images are either out of focus or extremely soft.

Problem 1 - Auto-focus: I cannot auto-focus properly. I tried different areas (wide & centre) with Continuous AF + back-button, from F2 to F8, various subjects (fishes, coral only, divers), and never manages to get proper focus. With my previous setup, I had no issue using Continuous AF on any area at F4. 

Problem 2 - Sharpness: Opposite to all the samples I've seen with the combo 28mm + WWL-1, my images. are extremely soft. I was expecting some corner softness at F2, but not to this magnitude. For example, if I manage to have an "acceptable" focus with my subject in the centre, at F2, my image is sharp for only 15-20% in the centre, the rest completely blur. At F8 it is better, but still very soft, and not just on the corners but on a significant vignetting-alike area.

It's my first time using a wet lens, so I am most probably doing something wrong with my settings (AF & aperture) that might be different than when using a dome, but I cannot really find information about that.

For the Sony & WWL-1 users, do you have the same issues? What AF setting do you use? Do you always shoot at F8+? Do you get descent image quality at F2?

Problem 3 - Dirt & oil appearing between the port & the WWL-1: I have to remove the WWL-1 several times (I have the quick release adapter) during a dive to remove particles, air bubbles & oil that get stuck in between. Do you have the same issue? My guess is that it is most probably due to the fact that I freedive and have to surface more often than scuba divers (fortunately), but wasn't expected to need to "clean" this space that often. Any tips on that?

There is an oring you can place on the M67 mount to avoid water flushing
You will need to stop the lens to f/11 to get sharp shot maybe f/8 not wider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The Sony a7IIl has some of the best and fastest focus in Mirrorless cameras. 

"When looking for overall quality we feel the 28mm lens and Fisheye Conversion still performs better." 

Above pulled from a lengthy article. Their conclusion was when choosing the WWL-1. For overall quality, and a very slightly wider angle of view, the FE 28mm + Fisheye Conversion lens is the way to go. I've not known the a7III to have such focus issues. 

• Like 1

It is possible the lens is trying to focus on the dirt/ bubbles, so sealing the water in with the o-ring option may help.  I assume you are using the specified Nauticam flat port with the WWL?

I wouldn't expect decent results at f2 but at f8 it should be good.

You don't need more than single AF with the WWL-1 that is an afocal lens.

Try the oring in the first instance to make sure you have a clear area between the lens and the port and shoot at f/11 to start with as this is a full frame camera

On 3/16/2020 at 3:20 AM, Interceptor121 said:

There is an oring you can place on the M67 mount to avoid water flushing

Any more info available?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Interceptor

Does it work with the quick disconnect system as well? Tried it?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Interceptor
Does it work with the quick disconnect system as well? Tried it?

No just m67

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements