Black and white images are not something that usually springs to mind when shooting underwater. But as a couple of Adam's terrific pictures above show, it is well worth trying.

This one was shot on Elphinstone Reef - a very popular dive site in the northern Red Sea. Despite the appearance, the Gorgonian fan coral was maybe 1 metre from the camera. I took several shots with my partner moving towards the fan to get her into the position I wanted... and then legs/fins in a nice position.... and exhaling.....and her eyes open.....

Dive operator: Emperor Divers on their terrific boat, the MV Superior

Nikon D800 with Sigma 15mm 1/60, f/11 and two Inon Z240 strobes

TG40694.jpg

would that not just look better in colour? I dont mind black and white, but that is always what I think firstly.

• Like 1

Another older freshwater video (sorry again for the German text)

• Like 2

A small school of schoolmaster grunts (Lutjanus apodus) under the dive boat at San Salvador, Bahamas. The out islands of the Bahamas offer some of the best coral reef and scenic diving in the Caribbean
Nikon D800, Kenko Tokina 17mm f/3.5, SEACAM Superdome, SEACAM Seaflash 150 strobes. 1/125@f/14, ISO200

140528-ahanlon-88923.jpg

A super macro close up of a Nembrotha kubaryana nudibranch. Super macro lenses have the advantage of a very shallow depth of field, which ensures that when animals are is less then ideal positions, you can still capture pleasing images by just letting the background be defocused.

Taken in the Lembeh Straits, Indonesia, diving with Critters at Lembeh Resort.

Nikon D500, Nikon 60mm f/2.8, Nauticam CMC2, SEACAM Seaflash 60D strobe. 1/250@f/29, ISO160

IMG_4008.jpg

If you are looking to photograph pygmy seahorses, then the Lembeh Straits in North Sulawesi, Indonesia is a great place to go.

There are loads of excellent resorts to chose from - including a couple that advertise here on Wetpixel.

Pygmy seahorses generally sit on gorgonians at about 20m-25m and camouflage incredibly well. They are also VERY shy (not to mention very small) and will turn away from a camera in a blink.

This one, a hippocampus bargibanti, was happily sitting on the Batu Merah dive site.

Nikon D300, Nikkor 105mm lens ISO 200 1/250 f/11 and two Inon Z240 strobes.

TG23647.jpg

Great picture Tim.  Looks like a baby swaddled in a blanket!

Tim, that is a great shot of the pygmy.  I love the depth created by the foreground and background bokeh.  Well done.

I have been obsessed with trying to get a great head-on bargibanti portrait for years.  They are fiendishly shy and will turn their backs before you've even spotted them, which is itself difficult to begin with.  Fortunately, I get to dive year round in Anilao so have had my share of opportunities.  The yellow pygmy in profile was at Kirby's Rock.  The pink one was at one of the "on-shore" sites near Acacia. Finally, one looked at me!  But I had not really thought about the fact that their eyes swivel independently.  Bugger.  I'll have to keep trying.  

Both taken with Olympus m4/3 60mm lens and Subsee +5

34929310880_e28b88f731_k.jpg

49754831861_dc7e422ac6_c.jpg

8 hours ago, troporobo said:

Tim, that is a great shot of the pygmy.  I love the depth created by the foreground and background bokeh.  Well done.

I have been obsessed with trying to get a great head-on bargibanti portrait for years.  They are fiendishly shy and will turn their backs before you've even spotted them, which is itself difficult to begin with.  Fortunately, I get to dive year round in Anilao so have had my share of opportunities.  The yellow pygmy in profile was at Kirby's Rock.  The pink one was at one of the "on-shore" sites near Acacia. Finally, one looked at me!  But I had not really thought about the fact that their eyes swivel independently.  Bugger.  I'll have to keep trying.  

Both taken with Olympus m4/3 60mm lens and Subsee +5

34929310880_e28b88f731_k.jpg

49754831861_dc7e422ac6_c.jpg

Woah, those are two cracking images - the pink bargibanti especially. I've never spotted the swivel eye thing. Little devils!

Posted (edited)

While we are on Pygmy;s here a a few more. 

Tim love the peeping Pygmy shot and the swivel eye one is really special, may not have noticed if not pointed out 

The pregnant yellow one was my very first sighting of this colour and so was the barbiganti vertical shot. Had never seen these colours._MG_2238.thumb.jpg.9fbbfab54bd9f47ceff9c908ec466097.jpg

_MG_2607.jpg

_MG_9890.jpg

Edited by diggy

I love pygmy images with the polyps out!

181011_ahanlon_504371A.jpg

Lembeh Straits, with Critters at Lembeh Resort

Nikon D500, Nikon 60mm f/2.8, Inon Z330 strobes

1 hour ago, adamhanlon said:

I love pygmy images with the polyps out!

181011_ahanlon_504371A.jpg

Lembeh Straits, with Critters at Lembeh Resort

Nikon D500, Nikon 60mm f/2.8, Inon Z330 strobes

completely agree looking at this one and what beautiful colours. Great Image

13 hours ago, PhotoJunkie said:

Great picture Tim.  Looks like a baby swaddled in a blanket!

Thanks!

Wow, some great pygmy pics!

The two ?Denises from Diggy are ace.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:09 AM, Cerianthus said:

would that not just look better in colour? I dont mind black and white, but that is always what I think firstly.

I didn't think so when I played around with it. But its a personal choice of course

TG40694.jpg

The Solomons are awesome. I was just talking with my son (at dinner tonight) about trying to plan another trip when we finally get to the other side of this.... (he only snorkeled our trip to Uepi - it was before he was certified).

This pandemic really makes you appreciate those places on the planet that are truly special - I want the opportunity to visit a few of those amazing places again.

I humbly submit these as I know I am not on the level of many in here.  It is a constant road of improvement.

These three were diving in Roatan with dive shop Dive Pangea on the East end of the island located on Camp Bay Beach.

I really like trunk fish.  This first one I tried to juxtapose a old hook the size of my hand caught on the reef against two tiny trunk fish.

_DSC2104.jpg.478c3d6b3621f5c3655642028c58f6de.jpg

This next guy was just trying to find a place to tuck in away from me, but let me hang around and shoot for some time.

_DSC2119.jpg.7ceea316a85d541c66cbda07a0785a3c.jpg

End of Dive about to head up

_DSC2231.jpg.29a9137cf1badfd91b5f81bfda4a643f.jpg

Anyone that has dived the East End knows how quiet and slow paced it is.  Dive Pangea is a great place for photographers.  Chrissie lets you linger as long as you want on subjects, the pace and length of the dive are discussed beforehand and how and where you go or what you want to focus on is up to you.  The DM's are top notch at spotting subjects too.  I will be back here. 

I will give a little plug if anyone wants to help out this small close knit and warm community.  Chrissie at Dive Pangea, and the owners of Camp Bay lodge right next door have setup a gofundme to help the Camp Bay community get by for now since they rely almost 100% on tourism.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/coronavirus-relief-for-camp-bay-roatan?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link-tip&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet https://www.gofundme.com/f/coronavirus-relief-for-camp-bay-roatan?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link-tip&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet https://www.gofundme.com/f/coronavirus-relief-for-camp-bay-roatan

These next three were post certification dives in Florida, Morrison Springs giving her an opportunity to gain some more experience

C0002T01.jpg.fe8404f7c2abe4ae755134accf9be4fe.jpg

_DSC2859.jpg.fb5bfaa2e99519c200b43d022d6880bb.jpg

_DSC2806.jpg.2de94f2aaf8d5db479bd5ec96c5b02d7.jpg

Working in the Lembeh Straits for a year I dived pretty much every day, but in the last few years I have been down to the usual 1-2 dive trip a year. 

I always find that the first couple of dives back in the water are a bit of a photo struggle. The first dive I usually take my housing without a camera to make sure it's water tight after re-fitting the 45-degree viewfinder (which I have to detach to get it in my Pelican case) and check out the vacuum valve. It's always a struggle:  the housing is super buoyant and my wetsuit bone dry so that's super buoyant too.

The second dive I usually take a full system - macro or WA - and the fun begins. But, so often, the pics are awful: strobes aren't right, my fingers can't find the controls quite the same, settings are wrong.  etc etc.

So I gave up trying to take images of the critters on that second dive and concentrated on things that didn't move. This gave me the time and space to get the photo gear sorted out and perhaps concentrate on things that I probably wouldn't give much thought to as the trip went on.

So here's some second dive, still-life shots!

The feather star from the Lembeh Straits (you find them there with amazing colours); and the hard corals from Bonaire. 

TG23949.jpg

TG46627.jpg

TG46683.jpg

Hi,

few "froggy portraits".

Br Markus

MM8_4931_small.jpg.09f7d331430222e9e2142741e8ec8d78.jpg

MM8_8344_small.jpg.6ddeb266cce8031d10067fa3ea1aca6d.jpg

_MM89709_small.jpg.fe8733a16394b58c1e424a7a832110ca.jpg

MM8_2664_small.jpg.03a76f96893296072a7c3a569d502007.jpgHi,

Cute, Markus! Where did you see the hairy?

I have been very fortunate to have witnessed the amazing whale shark aggregation that occurs annually off Isla Mujeres, Mexico. During this amazing natural event, we sometimes see 3-400 whale sharks (Rhincodon typus) in a single day!

Diving with the wonderful Keen M Bluewater
Nikon D850, Nauticam WACP. 1/160@f/8, ISO200

190815-ahanlon-.jpg

24 minutes ago, adamhanlon said:
I have been very fortunate to have witnessed the amazing whale shark aggregation that occurs annually off Isla Mujeres, Mexico. During this amazing natural event, we sometimes see 3-400 whale sharks (Rhincodon typus) in a single day!

Diving with the wonderful Keen M Bluewater
Nikon D850, Nauticam WACP. 1/160@f/8, ISO200

190815-ahanlon-.jpg

300-400??!?! Holy smokes. What an awesome sight that must be.

@Tim

shot the hairy at waters of Anilao

Br Markus

4 minutes ago, muellema said:

@Tim

shot the hairy at waters of Anilao

Br Markus

Thanks Markus!

Sponsors

Advertisements