As I have posted before, I love diving in Bonaire: relaxing, easy, you drive your own dive rhythm and dive times - and that leads to loads of time spent shooting pics.

I have two favourites to shoot there: yellowline arrow crabs and Pedersen cleaner shrimps. Here are a couple of shots of the latter from a recent trip. These were taken on early snoot outings. Massive frustration but sheer delight when it works!

TG33577.jpg

TG49328.jpg

TG49417.jpg

An ornate ghost pipefish (Solenostomus paradoxus) hovers above the seabed while feeding. These animals are a challenge to photograph as they come in and out of focus while they pivot and tilt in multiple planes.
Lembeh Straits, Indonesia, with the very lovely Critters at Lembeh Resort
Nikon D500, Nikon 60mm f/2.8, SEACAM Seaflash 60D strobes. 1/40@f/5.6, ISO50
181019-ahanlon-508378.jpg

A great hammerhead (Sphyrna mokarran) displays its downward facing mouth. Specifically adapted for feeding on prey in or on the seabed, these sharks' unusual shape has resulted in these spectacular animals causing an irrational fear among some people.
Bimini, Bahamas with the amazing Epic Diving.
Nikon D810, Sigma Imaging UK 15mm f/2.8, Kenko Tokina 1.4 x Teleplus Pro, SEACAM CP Port, SEACAM Seaflash 150 strobes. 1/320@f/9, ISO320

160306-ahanlon-13156.jpg

Cracking pic of the hammerhead, Adam. Love the angle!

I actually made a video not long ago of my favorite underwater instagram accounts (Not well known ones). Some truly inspirational UW videographers and photographers. Go check it out if you want to get inspired

• Like 1

I found this undescribed Unidentia sp01 on a recent dive. It was found in the Mooloolah River Qld Australia. So far this is the only location it has been found.

7451424A-5097-4B05-B496-D5C194531F21.jpeg

• Like 1

A mototi octopus (Poison occelate Octopus, Amphioctopus siamensis) emerges from its adopted home in a discarded glass bottle. While cleaning up the oceans is rightly an important priority, we also need to be aware that some animals have adopted the junk that we have discarded.

Taken in the Lembeh Straits, Indonesia, while diving with the amazing Critters at Lembeh Resort
Nikon D500, Nikon 60mm f/2.8, SEACAM Seaflash 60D strobes. 1/25@f/18, ISO100161010-WPOTY17-500345.JPG

Photographer Chris Boardman poses in the sunbeams in the very photogenic Cenote Tajma Ha, Mexico.

Nikon D500, Nikon 10-24 f/3.5-4.5, SEACAM Superdome. 1/250@f/4, ISO400

170809-ahanlon-501283.jpg

Lovely pics, Adam

Sometimes you really have to look closely especially when dealing with nudis in the nordic waters. Like this Goniodoris nodosa. Taken in Smögen (more exactly Pesa, a small island in the archipelago outside Smögen), Sweden. 25/4 2020. Encountered at 10 m depth.

Camera: Olympus TG-5, 1/100@f/4.9, ISO 400. No strobes as of yet.

P4252575.jpg

Red cushion star (Porania pulvilus) taken in Smögen the same day (More exactly Stora Håskär, another island in the archipelago) at 21 m depth.

Camera: Olympus TG-5, 1/60@f/3.6, ISO 400. No strobes as of yet.

original.jpg?1587907132

• Like 2

Happy world turtle day!
Black and white study of a green turtle (Chelonia mydas) poses in the sunbeams on the very lovely fringing reefs in the Red Sea around Port Ghalib, Egypt. I had a great time diving there with Emperor Divers.
Nikon D500, Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5, SEACAM CP port, INON global Z330 strobes. 1/25@f/14, ISO250
180208-ahanlon-.jpg

Super close up shallow depth of field image of a rough snout ghost pipefish (Solenostomus paegnius).
Taken in the Lembeh Straits, Indonesia while diving with Critters at Lembeh Resort.
Nikon D500, Nikon 60mm f/2.8, SEACAM 60D strobes. 1/160@f/4.5, ISO100.
181006_ahanlon_502332.jpg

On 5/8/2020 at 8:01 PM, adamhanlon said:
A mototi octopus (Poison occelate Octopus, Amphioctopus siamensis) emerges from its adopted home in a discarded glass bottle. While cleaning up the oceans is rightly an important priority, we also need to be aware that some animals have adopted the junk that we have discarded.

I agree, glass especially will remain intact and inert for many many years - about the same life span as any small rocks you might find and it does break it will convert to the equivalent of a pebble.  Metal will corrode away eventually much like a shipwreck - plastic is unique in that it breaks down to pieces that will float and absorb toxins and have potential for ingestion.   I would be inclined to leave items such as glass and metal containers in place.

• Like 1

thanks aquatic images for the video with interesting accounts - especially the appreciation for conservation and science geek types!

On 3/26/2020 at 2:03 AM, ScubaBill22 said:

3 hrs · 

Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) 

Balicasag Island, Bohol, Philippines
Dive Operator:  Island Adventure Dive Center  
https://island-adventure.weebly.com/ 
Date: 12 January 2020
Divesite: Black Forest
Water Temperature: 27C(80.6F)
Depth: 10-12 meters (33-40 feet)

Nikon D500/AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm/Ikelite Housing/Ikelite DS125 & DS160 strobes.
1/250th @ f/6.3 ISO 200

_DSC5447-Edit.jpg

This is an awesome shot! Was wondering if you've photographed the thesher sharks in the Philippines?

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements