Marcin

Is this normal for Inon D200? Cracks on signalling diode

Hi, this is just a technical question. I have recently bought an Inon D200 strobe and since then it was underwater just once and not very deep. I have just noticed a little crack on the cover glass of the signalling diode. I wondered if someone with the D200 could check theirs if they also have such cracks or is it just me. Please see the picture attached. I wrote to the seller (German distributor) but since we have this Corona situation right now I don't blame them for not responding for past two weeks. Hopefully you can help :)

IMG_8311small.jpg

I have see this type of cracks with acrylic plastic that had been cleaned with alcohol. That may be the case here. Do you know the history of the strobes? 

This one is brand new. That's why I went straight back to the distributor.

But what you say, the crack are on the inside - like where the glass is glued to the case. I don't think they would make the seal this way - I hope it's there just for the looks - but I'm worried anyway.

I believe there's an O-ring below this little window, which forms the seal.  I'm wondering if they are in fact cracks or perhaps a mixture of lube and moisture or could they be salt deposits?  Did you give it a good soaking in clean water after using it?   I'm assuming that that the top surface of the window feels smooth with no indication of cracking?

Hi. It can't be salt because it hasn't touch salt water yet (fresh only). But it might be moisture - yes. I have just put it into the water and we'll see what will happen after it soaks well. Top surface is smooth.

I still hope someone with D200 will show up and check his/hers to compare.

Nope, cracks did not disappear after the soaking. But since I cannot pressurize it with water it's not conclusive :)

I have some news. I was contacted by the INON representative and he assured me that this is just some grease from the o-ring seal and it will disappear with time. Thank you all for taking interest in my case. Have a nice day!

1 hour ago, Marcin said:

I have some news. I was contacted by the INON representative and he assured me that this is just some grease from the o-ring seal and it will disappear with time. Thank you all for taking interest in my case. Have a nice day!

Phew! You can relax now :P

One of my D-2000 strobes had that appearance after getting serviced. It is just grease as the Inon rep told you.Nothing to worry about.

Hi, it is just lubricant on the outside of the transparent plastic button.  Here is the button from an Inon D-2000 showing the O ring and the plastic lens. The junk is between the outer lens and the Oring, so what can be seen is nothing to worry about.

1353108917_D2000email.thumb.jpg.c25b87b821f78a6de6e34397a31f5a39.jpgThe reddish color is from battery corrosion, just in case you are wondering.

56 minutes ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

Hi, it is just lubricant on the outside of the transparent plastic button.  Here is the button from an Inon D-2000 showing the O ring and the plastic lens. The junk is between the outer lens and the Oring, so what can be seen is nothing to worry about.

1353108917_D2000email.thumb.jpg.c25b87b821f78a6de6e34397a31f5a39.jpgThe reddish color is from battery corrosion, just in case you are wondering.

Oh great, thanks for the picture! Good to know how it looks.

Sponsors

Advertisements