bax737

Backscatter combo 01 not firing

Hey all 

ive got a nauticam housing (5D3) with fibre trigger , using sea and sea to nauticam fibre cable.

01 is doing all right things ( focus changes intensity , green to blue solid light) however will not fire the flash . Battery is fully charged and the one  recommended . 

thoughts on whats going wrong ! 

Posted (edited)

Thats it set up, yes I know trigger is turned off, even with it on it wont fire combo .z330 are firing fine 

0A147C64-969C-4D1B-B7A7-A3AC30C16767.jpeg

1CDC7701-2466-4923-A19A-861BFEC2DA88.jpeg

Edited by bax737
Forgot info

Do you have another flash handy? You could even use the one on your phone?

Try to trigged the Backscatter strobe with another flash. If you hold the end of the fiberoptic cable against an external flash, it should produce enough output to trigged Ritz's.

If you disconnect the fiber cable from the Backscatter flash and trigger the camera (with the flash trigger on), you should be able to see the light from the trigger in the disconnected end of the fiber optic cable.

Adam

that is strange, in my hands the BS strobe works pretty well with even the small LED trigger for the OMD. Try swapping cables, cleaning the ports on the housing. Does the BS fire if you point the output of the z330 at the sensor?

Bill

If you need to trigger a flash you can use a TV remote (Infra Red). try it on the Z-330 just aim at the trigger with IR output window and press any buttom.  It should trigger the strobe, then try it on the backscatter strobe.

• Like 1

TV Remote does indeed work as Chris suggests but the aiming is more tricky than with an Inon of S&S.

Bill

I have the Backscatter Mini-Flash and Snoot combo.  My camera is a Canon EOS M6 II and I trigger it with the camera's onboard flash.  Sometimes the Mini-Flash will not fire when the camera's flash power is set to minimum.  It will always fire when it is set to medium.

I'm not 100% positive but I think once I get it to fire the first time at medium power, I can switch back to minimum and it works fine.  It's pure speculation on my part but I think the pre-flash detection feature on start up of the Mini-Flash needs a bit more power than normal flash triggering.

In the water, I have had it not work but unplugging the optical cable from the strobe and letting the tiny air bubble out and then plugging it back in always (so far) seems to work.

Bill

When the strobe won't fire, Bill's point about the need to check for, and remove, an air bubble trapped between the end of the fiber optic cable and the strobe sensor is excellent.

Also, the end of the cable must be very near the sensor for sufficient light to be transmitted, as even a few millimeters between the sensor and the end of the cable may allow sufficient light dispersion to prevent the strobe from flashing.  

I tried to use a pair on my last trip - but couldn’t trigger them with the Retra flash triggers - which could trigger all the other strobes we had around. Suggests to me that they probably need a strong-ish pulse of light to trigger. 

Alex

I haven't tried the Retra but they fire for me with the Nauticam LED trigger for the olympus

Bill

Sponsors

Advertisements