Sign in to follow this  
herbko

Rebate on Canon DRebel and lenses

Also saw that Canon is giving rebates on Cameras and Lenses starting this Fridayhttp://abesofmaine.com/rebates/canonslr.pdf

Looks like the DRebel is being heavily discounted! I knew it was a bad investment :) . You get $300 off if you buy it with two other lenses. Is that how it works? Do you also get the triple rebate on the other 2 items? Is so, this can add up!

I hope this discount means they're getting ready release a DRebel upgrade. A plastic 20D ? That would make sense. Canon may actually lower their production cost if the 20D and DRebel share all the Silicon parts.

I hope this discount means they're getting ready release a DRebel upgrade. A plastic 20D ? That would make sense. Canon may actually lower their production cost if the 20D and DRebel share all the Silicon parts.

Personally, I doubt this will happen (sorry to disappoint :? ). I think this is their way of recapturing the marketplace, as well as encouraging people to establish themselves with Canon as a brand, not as a single purchase.

I would hazard a guess that the general majority (not people here) of the DRebel users are still using the kit lens, simply because it was billed as the easy-to-use, affordable dSLR when it hit the public. By encouraging people to buy new lenses through rebates and whatnot, the tendency to switch to another brand (for example, Nikon) is lessened because of the investment in glass.

~Matt Segal

Personally, I doubt this will happen (sorry to disappoint :? ). I think this is their way of recapturing the marketplace, as well as encouraging people to establish themselves with Canon as a brand, not as a single purchase.

~Matt Segal

Even $100 for the body alone is a good discount considering that you can get the DRebel body for under $750 today. I think it would make sense for Canon to undercut the D70 with an under $1000 camera that has better performance, i.e. a plastic 20D. They are certainly capable since as I mentioned before, replacing all the Silicon parts in the current Rebel with 20D parts probably would not raise their production cost.

Also, the DRebel is now the oldest DSLR in their lineup. So it's likely the next one to be replaced.

Also, the DRebel is now the oldest DSLR in their lineup. So it's likely the next one to be replaced.

With an all-black special edition DReb for $999 :D

Of course, all my purchases so far are just prior to the Oct. 15th start date for rebates :D

~Matt Segal

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements