Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi,

This video is shot in my home country in the emirates of Fujairah. It is during different seasons. Although visibility is not great, the wreck is full of life and lies in 24m. The whole video is shot in ambient light with red filter using the Panasonic GH5s.

I hope you enjoy it.

 

Edited by thani
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks very nice Thani.   What equipment / camera?  

J-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you John. I used the GH5s in Nauticam housing. All shot in ambient light with red filter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inchape :)

Its amazing how the GH5s works in terms of noise and color compared to the GH5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lionfi2s said:

Inchape :)

Its amazing how the GH5s works in terms of noise and color compared to the GH5.

where did you read inchape? it is suppose to be Inchcape :)

yes, the GH5s is quite capable in low light. In clear waters it will even do much better in ambient light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 2:27 PM, thani said:

where did you read inchape? it is suppose to be Inchcape :)

yes, the GH5s is quite capable in low light. In clear waters it will even do much better in ambient light.

Inchcape it is I just made a typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the benefit of dual gain amplifier in action. Noise is contained colours as good as they can be considering the situation

I think the URPRO past 15 meters has an edge on other filters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

That's the benefit of dual gain amplifier in action. Noise is contained colours as good as they can be considering the situation

I think the URPRO past 15 meters has an edge on other filters

I really like the URPRO red filter and I tested at 30m depth with good color reproduction.  Our 30 meters due to the bad visibility could mean that it can work much deeper in good visibility conditions.

BTW,  when I post the attachment the image/colors lose their contrast and color saturation during upload on wetpixel. Any body is facing the same issue?

The image on my laptop is quite close the physical color chart.

 

Color_Chart_FHD_90.thumb.jpg.2decc0f7c57c8d057d46686c4e181dc3.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done, thanks for sharing. That's a lot of life down there. Great escape for this cold, snowy evening with some nice variety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys for your kind comments & stay safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ISO is configured as Auto (the camera decides) with a maximum ISO set at 6400.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm the last Jedi working full manual ?:ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, thani said:

ISO is configured as Auto (the camera decides) with a maximum ISO set at 6400.

But at the start of the clip inside the camera you can see what is applied at least at the start

Anyway good info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

But at the start of the clip inside the camera you can see what is applied at least at the start

Anyway good info

I have not enabled ISO on my screen cause I know even if the camera decides on max 6400, It is quite usable. I use the Camera in Aperture priority mode so I can control which aperture to use. And mostly I use the largest/widest iris to maximize light cause I am shooting in ambient light. And that is why the camera will always choose the minimum possible ISO. But you can know what ISO the camera has chosen during replay time.

4 hours ago, Davide DB said:

So I'm the last Jedi working full manual ?:ninja:

As explained above, this is a good functionality in the GH5/S. Make sure you keep the iso increment in smallest possible steps. But if you are shooting with artificial lights, you can have a fixed ISO. And actually if you choose to shoot in vlog, the camera uses some preferred preset to maximize dynamic range, I think.

The only control, I choose, is aperture. and mostly It is set at the widest and the camera is in Continuous AF with AF centered as a point in the middle frame. This approach makes may focus on the videography/composition  rather than the technicality.  Remember, we mostly can not plan the shots.

So my freind, you are one of few last Jedi’s in full manual :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 3:58 PM, Davide DB said:

So I'm the last Jedi working full manual ?:ninja:

Nope, another one here

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use both auto ISO and full manual. The issue with auto ISO is that when the camera metering changes the camera drops 1/3 of a stop and this changes is visible in the footage. However this tends to happen more in long clips if you shoot 20 seconds it doesn’t really and you can cut later
It is more a case to understand if you trust or not the metering of the camera


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

I use both auto ISO and full manual. The issue with auto ISO is that when the camera metering changes the camera drops 1/3 of a stop and this changes is visible in the footage. However this tends to happen more in long clips if you shoot 20 seconds it doesn’t really and you can cut later
It is more a case to understand if you trust or not the metering of the camera


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that with auto iso the changes were invisible.

I have a GH5 now. I got it just a month before the lock-down. Now it looks at me from the drawer :cry:

I hadn't the time to test auto ISO underwater. I have to try it in my flat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

I use both auto ISO and full manual. The issue with auto ISO is that when the camera metering changes the camera drops 1/3 of a stop and this changes is visible in the footage. However this tends to happen more in long clips if you shoot 20 seconds it doesn’t really and you can cut later
It is more a case to understand if you trust or not the metering of the camera


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you that this is a good challenge to be tackled. But I think the GH5s (may be the GH5 too) Auto ISO doesn’t cause sudden shift in brightening/dimming the scene. This can be proven by further testing. I have the problem in mostly in clipping highlights cause I always manually fix my aperture. This happens when you follow the subject in situations where lighting extremely changes during the same shot. How do yo guys deal with this situation. Can you avoid it during filming or you fix this in post?

In Davinci, I can fix this by animating for example the highlights over the duration of the clip. 

May be it is a good idea to start a new topic on what is the best metering technique? 

Edited by thani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thani said:

I agree with you that this is a good challenge to be tackled. But I think the GH5s (may be the GH5 too) Auto ISO doesn’t cause sudden shift in brightening/dimming the scene. This can be proven by further testing. I have the problem in mostly in clipping highlights cause I always manually fix my aperture. This happens when you follow the subject in situations where lighting extremely changes during the same shot. How do yo guys deal with this situation. Can you avoid it during filming or you fix this in post?

In Davinci, I can fix this by animating for example the highlights over the duration of the clip. 

May be it is a good idea to start a new topic on what is the best metering technique? 

Good question. Go for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2020 at 9:34 AM, Davide DB said:

I thought that with auto iso the changes were invisible.

I have a GH5 now. I got it just a month before the lock-down. Now it looks at me from the drawer :cry:

I hadn't the time to test auto ISO underwater. I have to try it in my flat.

they are not invisible check this non underwater video first example at 22 seconds and then more

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Really nice video Thani, especially for the current situation when most of us can't go diving due to lockdown. A pleasure to watch, all the way through.

I love the way the fish just split, e.g. around 4'35", .... and those colours! Looks like a great dive site. Which lens were you using for the crocodile fish at 7'10"?

 

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by matdiver1234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matdiver1234 said:

Really nice video Thani, especially for the current situation when most of us can't go diving due to lockdown. A pleasure to watch, all the way through.

I love the way the fish just split, e.g. around 4'35", .... and those colours! Looks like a great dive site. Which lens were you using for the crocodile fish at 7'10"?

 

Cheers,

Matt

Thank you Matt for your encouraging words. I have dived this wreck many times and given the lockdown situation, I really long to dive it many mor times. On the crocodile fish, I used the Canon 100mm macro lens with the Metabones speedboater. It is not easy to use at all for video. I had to rest my rig on the sandy bottom for that shot :). a tripod is needed for such a lens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sponsors

Advertisements



×
×
  • Create New...