robotr0n

Attaching the camera rig to the BCD

Hey y'all, 

So I usually use a loop of 2.5mm bungee cord that I've attached to a clip using a cow hitch on one side, then attach it to the Nikonos SB-105 tray on the other side. I then clip the clip to one of my D-rings once I'm in the water. A few weeks ago I went diving with a friend who's a tec diver and I left my bungee cord loop home. So he gave me some of his, which was 10mm. Now that I've used his, I don't trust mine anymore to keep my rig attached. 

How to y'all attach your camera gear? What strength of bungee cord do y'all use? I feel like 10mm is overkill. 

Happy Easter! 

-robotr0n

I use a retractor, like the ones used for gauge consoles.  Once in the water, a system isn't (or shouldn't be) very much positive or negative, so a solution doesn't have to be very heavy duty. 

I have used a pistol lanyard for many years, works fine, and being coiled it stays out of the way.
One costs about $ 7.- US in eBay

s-l500.jpg.c8f285fc8af0fecbce50f9a85b34181c.jpg

I use one of those typical lanyard straps with a quick release buckle with one end clipped to a D-ring on my left side.  I've had the rig (negative buoyancy) dangle from the strap many times.

160928-200324-00-24-g930t.jpg

Awesome, thanks for your help! Looks like I'll be buying one of those coiled thingies pretty soon then :)

21 hours ago, phxazcraig said:

I use one of those typical lanyard straps with a quick release buckle with one end clipped to a D-ring on my left side.  I've had the rig (negative buoyancy) dangle from the strap many times.

160928-200324-00-24-g930t.jpg

Just out of curiosity: What's the piece of rope (looks like it's about 5 inches long) connecting the two ball mounts for? 

For my rough (aka get tossed) shore entry setup I use a basic clip buckle on the left from a chest D ring to the housing. I use a clip with bungee and buckle on the right side in the same fashion. Example pic; I've since moved the smb to a hip D ring. My system is slightly positive, will float up very slowly when released, so it's not a stress on the system. I have used it with only the super positive housing and was scared that the bungee may snap.

Yesterday I received a YS-D2J and Sola upgrade which are considerably more heavy than my original Gobe's. I'll probably upgrade to kdgonzalez's Cetacea coil for when I get an aluminum housing.WWMqmZX.jpg

Edited by Shortsonfire79

I use a 2 diy beech straps,connected to the left and right ball joints to my upper shoulder d rings and a 3 foot 3/8 bungee cord that is always connected to my tray and to a d ring on my belt..  The beech straps make entry/exit easy if i need my hands for other items(fins) or for other safety issues.  When in the water i disconnect the beech straps and only use the bungee in case i some drop my rig.  My rig is always connected with the bungee and  the beech straps keep the rig close to my chest while walking or swimming in shallow waters.

12 hours ago, robotr0n said:

Just out of curiosity: What's the piece of rope (looks like it's about 5 inches long) connecting the two ball mounts for? 

That is a rope handle to lift the rig.  It's how it is lifted in and out of the boat among other times.

Craig

17 hours ago, robotr0n said:

Here's another example of a carrying handle - it might be easier to see.

They are really easy to make. There are lots of patterns on the internet and you need about 6' (2m) of paracord plus two stainless steel caribeners. It's a good stay-at-home project!

DSC_1757.jpg

Here's my solution (older video but still relevant).

VIDEO: Beach Diving with Camera Gear

I don't use the Cetacean bungee any more - just two clips. Actually scheming on a clipless system so the ends don't swing under your fingers and get in the way while shooting. Made of cord only - $0.20 in cost. Will take photos or make a video when I find the time to make it!

• Like 1

Just for a different perspective - there are several of us here that no longer connect their cameras to themselves while diving. I did it for several years, but realized in a situation where I absolutely needed both hands for safety (i.e. a real u/w emergency), I decided making sure that I limit the number of things that can get hung up needs to be the priority. Camera rig is replaceable...

Definitely a personal preference type thing.

1 hour ago, oneyellowtang said:

Just for a different perspective - there are several of us here that no longer connect their cameras to themselves while diving. I did it for several years, but realized in a situation where I absolutely needed both hands for safety (i.e. a real u/w emergency), I decided making sure that I limit the number of things that can get hung up needs to be the priority. Camera rig is replaceable...

Definitely a personal preference type thing.

Yep, this is definitely one of those "on the on hand, on the other" issues.

I used to use the double clip setup outlined by tubstance above. But then had the thought that on beach entries (I've been diving a good bit in Bonaire) over rocks, I'd rather not have the camera gear clipped to me in case I slipped. Would I want the camera to crash or to have the camera crash me? But now re-thinking it a bit, maybe, on balance, it'd be safer.

On the one hand, on the other. As oneyellowtang says, it's personal preference thing and your views can change often!

I am not saying this is the best way or even a good way but I have used several variations of this over many years going back to film days. In the photo, my new rig (thanks to C19 it has seen no battle) you can see the blue Cetacean coil lanyard which stays clipped ALWAYS to my scooter ring (crotch ring). I only unclip here to hand the camera to a deck hand if I do not board with the camera myself. You also see the short orange lanyard with a bolt snap, this one is to clip and hang the camera rig off to my scooter ring for freeing my hands for minor, momentary tasks (not emergency). You see also on the left handle and right handle a screw link and the left one has a double ender bolt snap. Actually, I use two such double enders and these double ender bolt snaps stay clipped to my shoulder D-rings. They are used to tote the camera (beach diving) or to secure the rig to my chest in tight in the event I need my hands free to deal with an emergency or whatever. I can also clip the orange lanyard to my scooter ring for three point suspension of the camera rig (prevents the rig from hanging when in horizontal swimming position) or flopping around when walking to and from the dive site (beach dive). The white lanyard between the handles is used to lift or carry the camera rig. When in the water I may remove it and clip it off to my wing/BP (on a D-ring on my waist strap RH where some used to secure a can light). For beach diving or where I intend to not hand the camera off, I may dispense with the white lifting lanyard altogether. 

IMG-0398.jpg

A variation I have used with smaller rigs is to use the white lanyard in place of the two double enders. In this way I thread the white lanyard through both chest strap D rings and then clip to the handles as shown or similar. Kind of resembles a sternum strap on a BC when deployed but for different purpose.

J

Edited by Captain Fathom

Sponsors

Advertisements