AJStetson

Humpback whales: insights on best ways to experience and photograph?

Hello,

I've dreamed of swimming with whales, and particularly humpback whales, since reading an article as a boy about whales and whale song in National Geographic.

I've started to explore possible means and places to do this, and am grateful for the insights (and images!) posted on this forum by paolobl65Don Silcockphotovanand others.

I'd be grateful for your insights into your experiences on the best places and ways to proceed, of course having as a starting point the safest, most respectful and ecologically responsible ways.

Is Tonga likely the best place to explore? Dominican Republic, Ningaloo, elsewhere?

Is a tour the best (or only) way to proceed? Is it possible to hire legal charters once there? Are photo/video permits required?

I've seen and love the work of @karimiliya on Instagram, and the company www.dancewithwhales.com, and while in isolation in NYC during the pandemic, am fantasizing about the possibility of swimming with whales once it's safe to travel.

Many thanks in advance for your insights.

AJ

During their winter season, Tonga has easily accessible opportunities to snorkel with humpbacks. There will always be a few other boats in the area. French Polynesia (Moorea and Rurutu) will fewer boats, and fewer restrictions. Rurutu specifically will let you get about as class as you can, however you are in a very remote area, so being careful is critical.

• Like 1

Reunion Island  in  august-september   is  a very good  place  to snorkel with Humpback whales .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, paolobl65 said:

Reunion Island  in  august-september   is  a very good  place  to snorkel with Humpback whales .

Thank you, paolobl65!

I was in Seychelles two years ago in early July, but will keep that in mind for a future trip!

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements