Joel Chan

Zoom issues on canon g7x mkII

Hi all,

Seeking some advice from fellow divers.

I recently got my hands on a 2nd hand canon g7x mkII, been using a g12 for a long time , so i figure its time to pamper myself.  For the record, it shoots perfectly, all the buttons work, no issues what so ever, it fits well into the casing, everything checks out on dry land...

However...

once i jump into the water, and im manual mode, im unable to zoom in on subjects. it works perfectly fine on land. while im fiddling with it on land.

but in the water the zoom wont respond. Im kinda new to photography stuff, so.. is the aperture/ shutter speed settings causing it? or could it be a hardware mechanical fault?

Cheers!

Hi Joel

Sounds to me that this could be a positioning problem in the housing - especially if it works perfectly on dry land.

I've seen this a few times especially with polycarbonate housings. It could be that one button is putting slight pressure on a control which then stops the zoom working - so not necessary a problem with the zoom control.

My suggestion would be to try replicating the problem on dry land. So put slight pressure on each control button in turn and then try zooming. If you can't zoom that will then tell you which housing button is not quite aligned right - or putting unwanted pressure on the camera button. Does that make sense?

Then it will be a question of adjusting the housing control button slightly. We'd need to explore that a bit more once you have identified the button and how it activates the camera button.

Are you saying it zooms OK inside the housing on dry land but stops zooming once you submerge?  As Tim says it may be water pressure pushing on another button which locks out the zoom. 

Hey guys, sorry for the slow reply.

i just tried it at home , popping the camera in to the housing ,and giving it a whirl. and yeah the zoom works fine.

like Chris said, yeah i tried it in the housing on dry land. 

hmmm i gotta figure out if any button would lock out the zoom, though all the buttons seem fine.

thanks alot for the input guys!

if anyone has any ideas or possible causes do let me know!

I had a similar problem on my EM5, The zoom gear would push back to the camera body, but only while in the water under pressure. I had to move the gear farther forward than usual.

Hi again Joel

Yeah, the buttons will seem fine. Once underwater the increased water pressure will put sufficient additional pressure on one of the housing buttons that will activate a camera control button sufficiently that it causes the zoom to lock out. The trick, obviously, is to find which camera control button can cause the issue. Then you know which housing button needs adjusting.

You can try this in or out of the housing - it doesn't matter. Put the lightest pressure on each of the camera controls in turn and see if you can then activate the zoom. If the zoom still works will all the buttons either increase the pressure a bit more and try them all again; and/or try pushing two camera control buttons and see if the zoom works. Somewhere there will be a button or combination of buttons which, once pressed slightly, lock out the zoom.

Hi Joel

You should also heck the zoom control on the housing as it is usually a spring setting lever,  If the spring gets stuck or jumps its mount(usually outside the housing) it will cause the camera to be either always zoomed out or zoomed in, depending on the housing, and you can't override this unlise you reseat the spring (usually easily enough as its mounted on the underside of some zoom levers on compacts housings.

I've had it before were it works fine on land and the first 1 or times underwater then the spring jumps and you can't do much with the camera until you realise and reset the spring, then it is back to normal, but those few minutes while you swear at the camera through your reg are wasted.

Sponsors

Advertisements