No I did know it this topic came out in a GH5 group and same misconceptions
This sensor doesn’t have enough processing nor pixel to do anything so it crops to APSC and so you do from 6K because 6K is 3:2 aspect ratio
And you would have to crop and drop pixels too
Full sensor is still slow those cameras don’t do more than 30 fps at full rez and have plenty of rolling shutter
Really not much point and am done with this discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massimo, I'm speaking about a NLE you don't know and you reply me about sensors and processor and rolling shutter.

I have countless DVD made from HD and 4K content and since Edius introduced Lanczros 3 scaling algorithm, results are quite different. Moreover I don't see why I should not believe a document from Grass Valley, a company completely dedicated to professional equipment. 

I'm done too

Massimo, I'm speaking about a NLE you don't know and you reply me about sensors and processor and rolling shutter.
I have countless DVD made from HD and 4K content and since Edius introduced Lanczros 3 scaling algorithm, results are quite different. Moreover I don't see why I should not believe a document from Grass Valley, a company completely dedicated to professional equipment. 
I'm done too

Am not saying is not possible am saying it deteriorates quality
If you want to deliver 4K use 4K in camera or crop it will have less arti facts
So who watches anything in 3:2 aspect ratio? Nobody
Who has a 20 megapixel display? Nobody
There are already too many pixels display manufactures and Tv are not pushing for more pixels but for HDR
This is why super35 sensors are still around as they give excellent quality for 4K without messing around

Great conversation, thanks gentleman.

Lots to think about and your opinions/ideas/thoughts all help.

Chaps, although everyone loves a debate, let's keep it vaguely around diving and u/w photography, eh? Happily we have managed to avoid discussion over Brexit, US Presidents, Boris Johnson, Venezuela, Iran, the inequities of poverty, Islamic State..... etc. WP is generally a haven of calm and cooperation. It's our happy place. Let's keep it that way, eh?

Well said Tim. 

I have deleted the post.

Adam

1 hour ago, John Doe II said:

I've been edited. oh well.

Life eh!?

;)

It got Braw too

Thats not RAW it is a YCbCr codec

This fw update really helps move this camera into a unique space.

The housing appears to be out but not been able to find any underwater footage. It is very interesting.

This fw update really helps move this camera into a unique space.
The housing appears to be out but not been able to find any underwater footage. It is very interesting.

Still is the same sensor inside the S1H from Panasonic so I would not venture on a Sigma unless I could test it long time on land

3 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

Still is the same sensor inside the S1H from Panasonic so I would not venture on a Sigma unless I could test it long time on land

Why?

Have there been problems with the S1H sensor? I've not heard of any, but may well have missed the reports?

The folks that I know that have shot the S1H underwater thought very highly of it, and didn't report any problems.

Why?
Have there been problems with the S1H sensor? I've not heard of any, but may well have missed the reports?
The folks that I know that have shot the S1H underwater thought very highly of it, and didn't report any problems.

There is no problem with the S1H what I meant is why bother with a Sigma a very unproven path when at the end is the same sensor of the Panasonic S1H
Panasonic pro is lending me a camera atomos recorded and all for testing it would be great to have a housing for testing too
I am currently waiting the prores raw update for s1h that has been delayed
Sigma was quicker on that

The Sigma has the housing from Pawel. The camera is only half of the answer - unless you can get the camera where you need it....then you have nothing at all. YMMV of course. My use case is somewhat specialized.

The Sigma has the housing from Pawel. The camera is only half of the answer - unless you can get the camera where you need it....then you have nothing at all. YMMV of course. My use case is somewhat specialized.

John if you think that getting a camera that is not exactly popular and has a single housing made by a guy in Australia is giving you an edge perhaps go ahead

The Panasonic S1 series has nauticam underwater housing that are reliable and they have a complete port system which is very important. I know what I would do and I am also pretty sure the Sigma will not give anything more than the Panasonic in light of the fact Panasonic has a pretty good idea on video recording with a proven track record and the S1H is broadcast and netflix certified 

From the RAW side ProRes RAW is limited to 12 bits and is the only real RAW format except CinemaDNG it has to be seen how much of a benefit does ProRes RAW give compared to traditional log shooting at 10 bits. When ProRes RAW is released I will get the S1H on loan from Panasonic and will be able to draw my own conclusion

As of today the only camera that has a reliable housing, ProRes RAW working and is also not super expensive is the Zcam E2

Posted (edited)

Interceptor121...that guy in Australia happens to have won Academy awards for his tech work. He is a very accomplished engineer. I trust his work far more then I trust Nauticam.

His housing for the FP is a nice bit of kit. That Titanium/Ceramic lens mount is nice ! Mating the Nikonos optics to a ceramic coated titanium lens mount means the lens is secure and tight with no play and the ceramics ensure the lens mount will never wear out. 

"titanium doesn't corrode, and it is very strong. Ceramic coating is even harder than titanium, hydrophobic and self lubricating. They will last true life time of constant use"

The housing has a 2TB SSD onboard. The housing can be modified with more ports to spec upon request.

The kicker here is this camera and housing are tiny.....and that gets me to places I couldn't go before. Plus its a bit of a crash-cam setup - if I do get held up and robbed the camera was only 2K. No one wants to be held up of course but the reality out there is some of us work in dangerous places. I've been grabbed by paramilitary rebel forces (manged to escape - May 2000), arrested for being a spy (because I took a photo of the Cessna Caravan that was chartered by a mine to fly our group in - contacts managed to get me released as I was being taken to a prison -2009) and thrown into prison twice in another country -2014/ 2016. (there is quite the story to all that - best thing in these countries is to keep a low profile and dont flash fancy gear around, because if you do you become a target and better have good contacts for when the SHTF - and it has a nasty habit of doing just that). The Thing about all this is, if thats where the fish you are interested in are...you have to risk it. I am saying all this here because you just dont seem to get that not all of us are in the Western world and take nice holidays to safe mundane places.

The Sigma Fp is an amazing camera with a great sensor in a tiny package. It is so unique. Granted, not everyone needs that but to those who do this is an amazing camera that opens up opportunities that we previously could not get too because of the size and amount of gear needed. We could not begin to even dream of this quality footage from such a tiny camera even 5 years ago. Truly remarkable that this camera exists ! Pawels housing being equally tiny with a nikonos lens mounted to it is icing on the cake.

A small camera and housing is nice for some of us...as I said...YMMV.

But dont worry I also swing the other way. Big is fine - in appropriate places. The Fp is a tool in the box for some places where I cant access with big bulky gear. Make sense ?

84222953_2587354134887704_8515847351036805120_o.jpg

Edited by John Doe II
add photo + some dates for context since Davide thinks I am bullshitting
  • Like 1

John, from what you write, you are a pro.

So why bothering discussing with us about this camera? 

Go ahead and give us a review of the kit.

Bye

What is it with you people??

No not a pro at video by any stretch but many many years in remote areas doing high tech work taking my cameras with me . You guys dont let up - if a setup does not suit YOU, its constantly bagged.

I come here to learn from others. Some interesting topics and new ideas. I dont come here to ride and bag others like some do.

And I can most definitely assure you I will indeed tell what I find when this setup ends up in my hands - from what I can see this setup has no equal - taking all factors into consideration.

Another crazy story ..just for Davide...in June 2000 I chartered an AN12 (Russian turbo prop cargo plane) to fly a shipment of fish out of Central Africa down to South Africa. No photos or video attempted on that one. The only eventful thing to happen that afternoon was the mad Russians flying that crate started spooling up the engines as we were loading boxes of fish into the hold. We were running late and they were anxious to get to Lanseria (an airport on the outskirts of Johannesburg South Africa). As the rear cargo ramp was going up they started to taxi to the runway. I had to throw my backpack into the side entrance hatch as the aircraft was moving towards the runway. In the end the Russian crew threw a rope ladder down to me as I was running after the aircraft trying to get aboard. I had to scramble up that rope ladder as the aircraft was taxing to the runway for take off. Whether I managed to get aboard or not they were taking off. To this day we call the whole episode that occurred late that afternoon "Running with the Antonov".

You spend enough years out here in the bush and you end up with a lot of stories to tell.

Hope I am not coming across as a pro know it all because of the experiences I have had out here on the perimeter.

Edited by John Doe II
Typo

@Davide DB

I am very glad that people are discussing this camera. It is a sad day when people in our community are suggesting that people shouldn't "bother" to discuss on these forum. Wetpixel has always been a venue where people of all abilities and interests meet and share their thoughts. 

Discuss the topic, but leave the personal comments out of it....

Another crazy story ..just for Davide...in June 2000 I chartered an AN12 (Russian turbo prop cargo plane) to fly a shipment of fish out of Central Africa down to South Africa. No photos or video attempted on that one. The only eventful thing to happen that afternoon was the mad Russians flying that crate started spooling up the engines as we were loading boxes of fish into the hold. We were running late and they were anxious to get to Lanseria (an airport on the outskirts of Johannesburg South Africa). As the rear cargo ramp was going up they started to taxi to the runway. I had to throw my backpack into the side entrance hatch as the aircraft was moving towards the runway. In the end the Russian crew threw a rope ladder down to me as I was running after the aircraft trying to get aboard. I had to scramble up that rope ladder as the aircraft was taxing to the runway for take off. Whether I managed to get aboard or not they were taking off. To this day we call the whole episode that occurred late that afternoon "Running with the Antonov".

Brilliant story! :good: Having spent many years myself in some of the world's funkier places, I can sure empathise!

3 minutes ago, TimG said:

Brilliant story! :good: Having spent many years myself in some of the world's funkier places, I can sure empathise!

Things can get hairy quickly in some of the less developed parts of the world !

From the EOSHD site,

"The eagerly awaited Sigma Fp version 2.0 firmware has been released today.

The camera is now capable of a DCI 4K 12bit HDMI RAW feed which can be shot in compressed RAW format with a suitable external recorder. This enables the use of NLE friendly RAW workflows, in Apple ProRes RAW with the Ninja V recorder and even BRAW with the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR.

This makes the Sigma Fp the first ever full frame camera to offer BRAW support (with the View Assist), and the first to shoot 2K 120fps in ProRes RAW.

Given the size of the Sigma Fp is barely larger than a Sony RX1 this is an extraordinary capability.

For cinema production it puts the Sigma Fp in the same league as the RED Komodo but at a significant cost and size advantage, with a larger sensor.

Also added in firmware version 2.0 is a new HDR mode for video users. I’ll explore what this means soon on EOSHD, once the firmware is up and running on my camera. It is available to download here.

The internal CinemaDNG recordings are now playable in-camera and a cinemagraph feature has been added.

Interestingly there is now a Dual Native ISO feature like the Panasonic S1H, which implies it uses a similar sensor. The base ISO can now be ISO 100, or ISO 3200 for improved low light performance and dynamic range at high ISOs."

Edited by John Doe II

2 minutes ago, John Doe II said:

Things can get hairy quickly in some of the less developed parts of the world !

A good point, well made 

Sponsors

Advertisements