Posted (edited)

From Noam Kroll's site... https://noamkroll.com/full-sigma-fp-review-4k-raw-video-samples/

Full Sigma FP Review & 4K RAW Video Samples

Last month I picked up a Sigma FP and have already put it to the test on a number of shoots. So far, I’m quite impressed. While the camera does have its quirks, the image quality and versatility of this camera is pretty remarkable.

In a nutshell, the FP is a pocket sized full-frame camera with the ability to shoot 4K video internally in Cinema DNG RAW. It has a dedicated “Cine” mode, allowing the camera, menus and display to function like a true cinema camera, making it optimal for filmmakers.

DESIGN & BUILD QUALITY

Anyone who truly loves pocket-sized cameras is going to have an immense appreciation for the FP. It’s a minimalist’s dream camera.

Despite having a full frame sensor, the camera body is incredibly tiny. By far the smallest camera I’ve ever owned, yet it still somehow feels incredibly strong and built for pro use. It also is really comfortable to hold in you hand, even without a cage or grip configured.

This side of the body also has a few ports – USB data output, Micro HDMI port and a mic input. I haven’t yet used the data port, but this can be utilized to output a full 4K 12bit RAW image to an external hard drive. In a future firmware update, you should also be able to export 4K 12bit RAW through the HDMI output for use with external video recorders.

All in all, the build of this camera is optimal. Small, rugged, weather sealed, easy to rig up and configure however you like… Not a whole lot to complain about.

IMAGE QUALITY

For me, image quality is the #1 consideration I take into account when choosing a camera, and the Sigma FP really delivers on this front. 

Unsurprisingly, shooting in RAW at 4K (3840 x 2160) will give you the best overall results when shooting internally.

Even in 8 bit, the images have so much color information and retain detail beautifully in the shadows and highlights. They grade incredibly well and under no circumstance (yet) have I felt limited by not working with a 12 bit file.

I do often find myself shooting in 12 bit / HD, but that’s really just a means to save card space. For most of my projects HD is plenty to work with, so I suspect this will be a bit of a sweet spot for certain jobs.

In both 4K RAW and HD RAW, the images coming off the cards truly feel like they’ve originated on a cinema camera. Even ungraded, they are rich and dynamic, and have the sort of depth and texture you might expect from a much more expensive cinema camera.

No need to go on. Paired with that tiny housing from Pawel with a Nikonos lens...we have a winner here. Its the sum total of all the parts that make a whole. The best camera in the world is no good without a quality housing to take it underwater. The best housing/camera is of little use if we cant mate it all to the best optics ever designed for underwater use...Nikonos.

My opinion is that it is truly remarkable that such a combination of camera/housing/optics is available with such remarkable low light ability that gives such good 12 bit RAW cDNG files in such a tiny package.

No one has to agree with me, but for my use this is the best I can hope for. As I say again and again, YMMV. 

This Covid -19 thing has messed up many of our plans and slowed everything down. I hope I can still get this package together this year. I for one am really looking forward to getting some quality bubble time with this setup.

Edited by John Doe II
added underwater to the best Nikonos part

Posted (edited)

With regards to the housing for the Fp made by Pawel from Achtel Pty Ltd Australia;

Controls and buttons are responsible for reliability of underwater housings. My recent review of industry practices revealed that there is much to be desired from nearly all major brands. It appears that reliability is always assumed, but rarely delivered or talked about beyond meaningless slogans. Camera floodings are something that we rarely talk about mainly because it is associated with shame, guilt and failure - not good for reputation.
The sad fact is that the vast majority of underwater housings have controls that are designed (or extremely likely) to fail! Multiple single points of failure, poor design, inadequate materials and poor precision are some of the most common problems that I have seen. Cost cutting and shifting the costs towards marketing, aesthetics and questionable features is what drives the market (and profits) these days. Reliability and longevity are not a priority.
One of the main reasons I have started to design and make underwater equipment was because I wasn't happy with anything that was available. Master's degree in engineering and plenty of experience designing mission-critical equipment helped a great deal. Having access to arguably the best defense manufacturing facility made it all happen. Yes: next to DeepX, Vanquish and 3Deep, space rockets, satellites and Hawk helicopter parts are made to the same precision and high quality standards.
Pictured are some of our push buttons used in DeepX, 3Deep and our other housings. Their design, tight tolerances and materials ensure mission-critical performance to the levels not found in this industry. They are precision-machined from titanium alloys and verified to be within 5-micron precision. They are coated with hard-ceramic ensuring smooth and precise fitting and resistance to harsh environments. They utilise double orings on all moving parts and can prevent leakage when not one, but even when both orings are damaged. This is because they are so precise that they work like a piston - sealing even when the orings are compromised. No dissimilar metals are used, meaning there will never be any internal corrosion. The controls are strong enough to withstand considerable mechanical impact, ice, dust, mud and sand.
These controls cost several hundred dollars each to make. I'd guess probably 100 times more than those offered by some of the "leading" underwater housing brands. But, they are also more than a 1000 times more reliable - so much so that I'd be happy for my own life to depend on it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah, I'm putting my trust in Pawel thank you very much. This tiny housing that is so well engineered matched to a Nikonos optic using a titanium ceramic coated lens mount....he will be taking my money.
Edited by John Doe II
typo

23 hours ago, John Doe II said:

With regards to the housing for the Fp made by Pawel from Achtel Pty Ltd Australia;

Controls and buttons are responsible for reliability of underwater housings. My recent review of industry practices revealed that there is much to be desired from nearly all major brands. It appears that reliability is always assumed, but rarely delivered or talked about beyond meaningless slogans. Camera floodings are something that we rarely talk about mainly because it is associated with shame, guilt and failure - not good for reputation.
The sad fact is that the vast majority of underwater housings have controls that are designed (or extremely likely) to fail! Multiple single points of failure, poor design, inadequate materials and poor precision are some of the most common problems that I have seen. Cost cutting and shifting the costs towards marketing, aesthetics and questionable features is what drives the market (and profits) these days. Reliability and longevity are not a priority.
One of the main reasons I have started to design and make underwater equipment was because I wasn't happy with anything that was available. Master's degree in engineering and plenty of experience designing mission-critical equipment helped a great deal. Having access to arguably the best defense manufacturing facility made it all happen. Yes: next to DeepX, Vanquish and 3Deep, space rockets, satellites and Hawk helicopter parts are made to the same precision and high quality standards.
Pictured are some of our push buttons used in DeepX, 3Deep and our other housings. Their design, tight tolerances and materials ensure mission-critical performance to the levels not found in this industry. They are precision-machined from titanium alloys and verified to be within 5-micron precision. They are coated with hard-ceramic ensuring smooth and precise fitting and resistance to harsh environments. They utilise double orings on all moving parts and can prevent leakage when not one, but even when both orings are damaged. This is because they are so precise that they work like a piston - sealing even when the orings are compromised. No dissimilar metals are used, meaning there will never be any internal corrosion. The controls are strong enough to withstand considerable mechanical impact, ice, dust, mud and sand.
These controls cost several hundred dollars each to make. I'd guess probably 100 times more than those offered by some of the "leading" underwater housing brands. But, they are also more than a 1000 times more reliable - so much so that I'd be happy for my own life to depend on it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah, I'm putting my trust in Pawel thank you very much. This tiny housing that is so well engineered matched to a Nikonos optic using a titanium ceramic coated lens mount....he will be taking my money.

John let us know how you get on. Make sure this housing as a bulkhead to record ProRes RAW on an external monitor. There are issues with that and nauticam ended up with this massive M28 without that you will record CinemaDNG on disk and it will finish in few seconds

Prefer to record to cDNG - so 2TB SSD will be OK.

Prores RAW is a very interesting addition. I dont intend to use it but its nice to have options - who knows how things will pan out.

I have already lost this season due to Covid. By mid October the rain starts and the water clarity goes to hell...not to mention huge storms and massive lightening storms. There is no way I can get all this in and ready by September. But Next April is not that far away. I do hope to be equipped with this setup by then. Lets see how it all pans out. Never say never.

The only fear is that by then Fp II is out and we start the game over.....its never ending as we all know.

Sponsors

Advertisements