Posted (edited)

This is the final cut of my semester project for film class at the Academy for Creative Media Windward. Due to the COVID-19 shutdown I was reliant on b-roll that I filmed during an expedition to Cocos Island, Costa Rica in early March of 2020.

This is not a "creature feature", more an experiential film to guide the viewer on a virtual dive in the Deep See submersible. Filmed aboard the Undersea Hunter Group’s M/V Argo, on location at Cocos Island, Costa Rica.

Best viewed in 4k, with good speakers or headphones...

-Brian

Edited by bgreene
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Beautiful work, very impressive.  What a great opportunity that was.  Thanks for sharing that.

• Like 1

Agreed, I really enjoyed watching this.  At first I was surprised at the choice not to correct white balance, but I think you decided not to correct it to show the real experience of deep descent and I believe that worked well.  Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Yes, correct about the white balance.  I've been fortunate to make 10 dives in this sub over the years, so I was trying to recreate my experience as closely as possible.  I also had no plan to put this together, but had the footage, and had to put something together for the end of the semester;)

-Brian

12 hours ago, troporobo said:

Agreed, I really enjoyed watching this.  At first I was surprised at the choice not to correct white balance, but I think you decided not to correct it to show the real experience of deep descent and I believe that worked well.  Thanks for sharing.  

Yes, I agree.  At first, I was put off by it, and then quickly realized that it was a conscious decision - and a good one for the story that you were telling.  Nice job.

• Like 1

Great video!
Since years i followed these subs, got a time planner from a aqua archeological project, there  these were used to discover the history of a chinese wreck from 1700...
Hilti foundation and Franck Goddio...
So i hope one day i can do a dive in one of these subs ;-))

Regards,
Wolfgang

• Like 1

At the risk of hijacking this excellent post: Oh hell yeah, I’d take a ride in a sub in a heartbeat!  I am absolutely riveted by those videos that get posted every once in a while with the voice overs by scientists. If it was possible to buy a seat, I would. 

• Like 2

Wow, very interesting indeed.Nice work

P.S 

Another twilight zone lover, I see ;)

• Like 1

Very nice!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That's the largest dome port cover I have ever seen at 1:54:)))

What was the shark species?

Beautiful work!

ian

Edited by ianmarsh
  • Like 1

@bgreene Been in that sub twice (two different trips to Cocos). Great video, really captured much of the experience...

Two things that it reminded me of:
1. You can spend a week+ on the boat earning your sea legs, then get in the sub, and that ~20min tow on the surface makes you feel like you have never been on a boat before (the curvature of the dome doesn't help your eyes either...)

2. Loved the various animals that would come check out the sub. Mobulas, hammerheads, prickly sharks... 

They used to offer an intermediate dive (~600ft) as well as the shallow and deep options. 

I've promised my kids that at some point we'll go to Cocos and they can take a ride "deep..." (amazing experience). On the other hand, my wife has zero interest ;)

Matt

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements