In November 2019 I flew Singapore to Jakarta to Sorong on Garuda Airlines.   Typ route to get to Raja Ampat where I was staying at Misool.    Garuda has tight restrictions on weight, but want to encourage the dive community.  Upon check in I asked if this was photo and dive equipment and that was that.   My big pelican case and gear bag were allowed without restrictions or added costs.    I was worried about the return - again no problem.    I have no status on the Garuda frequent flyer program (I think aligned with Delta)    It was perfect.    

Posted (edited)

I believe Garuda still has an extra 23kg checked luggage allowance for sports equipment including dive gear ( ie on top of airfare's checked luggage allowance)

https://www.garuda-indonesia.com/id/en/special-offers/sales-promotion/sportequipment

Up to 23kg of other sporting equipment including:  (...) SCUBA tank (Empty) and other diving equipment.
Baggage allowance is based on ADULT/CHILD checked baggage and is applicable to/from all GA destinations operated by Garuda Indonesia only. Maximum 1 piece per passenger subject to space availability.

Air Asia, with all its caveats, is another good choice since it's possible to buy specific checked-luggage weight, up to 40kg on most flights - this has to be done before check-in though, and they can be quite strict on the 7kg carry-on luggage allowance, so plan for big- pockets...

Edited by ben gazzal

The magic word when flying Garuda is "scuba diving". Gets you the extra bag per person, very handy.

Is this only the case with Garuda? I'm hoping to go to Lembeh in September and haven't flown on any of the Indonesian Airlines. 

As far as i know it is one of the very few worldwide to offer extra bags for divers. 

Many of the other airlines charge exorbitant amounts for any over weight baggage!

Adam

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2020 at 10:13 PM, dorkeycorky said:

Is this only the case with Garuda? I'm hoping to go to Lembeh in September and haven't flown on any of the Indonesian Airlines. 

It's only on Garuda.

On Air Asia you can (and should) prebuy checked-in luggage, and it's quite ok. But you can't do that at the airport, so be careful.

You'll have to pay for overweight luggage on all the others (Lions/Wings etc), so look into their luggage policies - most of the time it's not that expensive on Indonesian domestic flights, but you should definitely look into it before-hands.

Plenty of airline choices for Manado, so it should be fine - just go with Garuda if you can.

Hope things will be open in September, "the New Normal"is still very blurry...

Edited by ben gazzal
  • Like 1

Good to know! Thanks guys!  *fingers crossed for my trips later this year*

I found Garuda very good, when I put the bag on the scale they asked is that scuba gear?  Free 23kg allowance for dive gear.  I booked on Garuda's website and prices there were quite OK.

We have had the same Garuda experience but I think Lion/Wings now have a zero allowance for checked bags, you have to pay for everything. Typically for 2 of us about $80-$100 US per in-country flight.

Bill

Lion/Wings is a pain. You can't even book luggage through credit card. Be very careful. 

That said, when I did fly with them I prebooked all baggage and when my hand luggage was overweight I showed them the camera gear and they let me pass through without any further issues. That may well depend on the good will of the person at the check-in counter though.

Sponsors

Advertisements