Sign in to follow this  
Chris Kippax

Adding an Ikelite vacuum valve to an aquatech housing

Hi All

I am contemplating adding an Ikelite vacuum valve (#47003) to my Aquatech surf housing. This housing seals via o-ring and groove similar to Aquatica/Nauticam. The port system is threaded with an o-ring.

I already use this valve on my scuba housing so I am familiar with it and already have the vac gun. So it makes sense to me to minimise cost/gear.

I intend to drill and tap the housing to mount the vac valve. 

The housing depth rating is 10 Metres, what would you suggest for a vac pressure?  2-3 in/hg??

The OEM  were not helpful when I asked them regarding this.

Can you think of any pit falls I may have missed??

What material is the housing made from?

Polyurethane

I think your biggest potential problem will be the strength of your threads, a 10m housing is probably not that thick? 

I am wondering if it might be better drill through and insert a threaded bush and secure this with a nut/washer on the inside? 

The housing is like this?  https://aquatech.net/collections/water-housings-canon/products/elite-ii-5d3-for-canon-5d-mk-iii

The difficult part might be preparing a flat surface for the o-ring seal, depending on what sort of equipment you have access to and to a certain extent the housing geometry and suitable areas to drill and tap.  I'm wondering if drilling the flat back cover and tapping that might be better the surface is smooth compared to the slightly textured housing so might provide a better sealing surface?

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the comments.

That is the correct type of housing

I originally thought the back plate was the place to install it but after some consideration I am not too comfortable having a protruding object near the viewfinder, where my face/eyes will be while getting pounded in the surf. 

I am thinking the RHS has enough flat real estate and has less chance of poking me in the eye. Housing definitely seems thick enough to accept a decent thread. The ikelite valve also comes with a locknut. I will take some measurements to see if the thread will protrude out enough to accept the lock nut.  

Next issue will be sealing. As you say the housing is slightly textured, at least PE is easy to sand smooth.

Looking at it further, what is the boss on the RHS looking at the front of the housing basically opposite the shutter release.  It looks like a bulkhead plug - does you housing have this and is it removable?  If it is already threaded I would look at using that hole.

Well spotted,

mine has the hot shoe sync connector mounted in it. If I didn't occasionally use a flash that would be the ticket.

Congrats on becoming a Mod! :good:

Have you considered the adapters you can get from Nauticam:  https://www.scubapix.com/vacuum-check-systems/25626-m14-offset-connector-with-vacuum-valve-ii-pushbutton-release/

You would have to see if you could buy the offset connector without the valve and probably need an adapter bushing to thread in the ikelite vacuum valve

2 hours ago, Chris Kippax said:

Congrats on becoming a Mod! :good:

Thanks Chris!

Thanks for the link mate, I will check it out

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements