Sign in to follow this  
Craig Ruaux

I'm really liking this d70...

I'm posting this here rather than in the galleries section as it is totally NDR.

I'm really liking the D70, I took it out for a daytrip to Enchanted Rock and Pedernales Falls State Parks, to the west of Austin, this Saturday.

I did, however, make a massive newbie error :oops:

The night before, I had been playing around with high ISO shooting, and I forgot to set it back to 200. So I shot the whole day at 800 ISO :shock:. All things considered, I think the results are a testament to the low noise of the d70 at 800 ISO :).

A gallery of selects from the days shooting is here.

Way to go Craig! Yes, it is a fantastic camera - the photographer isn't half bad either...:-)

Cheers

James

Nice shots Craig......I love Enchanted Rock....been climbing it since I was a kid visiting my grandparents in Fredericksburg

Karl

great shots!

I did, however, make a massive newbie error  :oops:  

The night before, I had been playing around with high ISO shooting, and I forgot to set it back to 200. So I shot the whole day at 800 ISO :shock:.  All things considered, I think the results are a testament to the low noise of the d70 at 800 ISO :).

I did the exact same thing only it was half the pictures on my honeymoon! I was quite upset when I found out about it, but 400 prints later, I'm over it because you just can't tell. And some of them have been printed at 12x18.

I really wish it was displayed on either the LCD on top, or in the viewfinder.

As you should Nikon is a leading camera with awesome glass, with the price of that camera it has probably replaced the canon 300D as the best entry level DSLR on the market. Did I say entry level? A camera that performs as well as that should not have a level taged to it at all, lets just say a great camera for the money. I have a Canon 10D and bought it before the D70 came out if the D70 would have been avalible at the time i purchased the Canon I might have gone that way, except for a few extra features the (the Canon has) I beleive the D70 is right on pace with it. The glass is all important in how the camera performs from what I have heard the Nikon glass is about the best. Congrats on your purchase of the D70 you won't be dissapointed.

DJH

OK, so the D70 gets a "2" vs a "1" for the Canon. What does that mean exactly?

Will you be satisfied with ISO400 photos from each camera? Yes, you probably will.

Now that I shoot a Kodak ProSLRn and I've learned to use it properly, I don't think the difference between a "1" and a "2" is significant.

Cheers

James

And some of them have been printed at 12x18.

I've got a couple of 11x14's on the way to me from Pictopia, I'm looking forward to seeing how they held up.

I really wish it was displayed on either the LCD on top, or in the viewfinder.

Indeed...

OTOH, I slid ye-old F100 into its housing tonight to check everything out before I head for Curaçao this weekend. OMG, the viewfinder is HUGE

:shock: :shock: . I think the F100 is a bit sad that it has been ignored for the last couple of weeks :). It's going to be even sadder when I get back and sell it :twisted: :twisted: (well, maybe :? )

I've got a couple of 11x14's on the way to me from Pictopia, I'm looking forward to seeing how they held up.

I'm sure they'll be great! I even had a few 20x30 prints done by Elco-color (their $10 internet special) and they turned out awesome. You can see a little bit of pixelation if you look close, but from more than a foot or so away you can't see any flaw. And they were photos taken with a cheap 70-300 lens!

Now that I shoot a Kodak ProSLRn

How do you like that monster James? Serious MEGAPIX on that baby and best of all it uses Canon lenses (in which I have a few). I would have to say that if I felt inclined to upgrade from my 10D the Pro would be a front runner.

I think the Kodak ProSLRn uses Nikon Lenses while the Kodak ProSLRc uses Cannon lenses.

That is correct. I have the Nikon mount version.

I think the upgrade from the 10D would be to buy a used 1Ds as they can be had for about $1,000 more than the Kodak ProSLRc and are much better.

Cheers

James

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements