Interceptor121

Olympus sells camera business

Sad Olympus news! 

Now I will treasure even more my Olympus Tough TG5 with Oly housing, they are a great combination.
Time now to build for them a tray with my two spare ULCS tray handles and two strobes. 

I need an upgrade to my EPL-5 system. Even before this news I was thinking the Canon EOS M6 MkII. Am I crazy? I am a Canon shooter on land and mostly macro underwater. At first I thought the logical thing was the EM-5 Mk3, but the more I looked the more attractive the Canon was. For instance I compose and develop in 3:2, not 4:3 so 10% of the MFT sensor is wasted for me.

I need an upgrade to my EPL-5 system. Even before this news I was thinking the Canon EOS M6 MkII. Am I crazy? I am a Canon shooter on land and mostly macro underwater. At first I thought the logical thing was the EM-5 Mk3, but the more I looked the more attractive the Canon was. For instance I compose and develop in 3:2, not 4:3 so 10% of the MFT sensor is wasted for me.

Actually with the world of Instagram 5:4 1:1 I have tons of 3:2 images that don't fit
I find 4:3 to be the most versatile format
Olympus cameras business maybe failing but their OMD EM1 are great cameras I am taking shots I could not take with Nikon DSLR and I can't take today
Check how the canon focus works on mirrorless as the technology is totally different

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

The company has not gone away so hopefully will continue with the new owners - might see some rationalization - hopefully not impacting the quality.  For instance do they really need EM-1, 5 and 10 series?  .  I do agree though the EM-1 MkII is an amazing little camera.

On the upgrade path don't forget that the bigger sensor means bigger domes for rectilinear lenses.   It's not just about the camera - it's about the whole system including lens availability.  I don't know how the Canon macro options focus on the M6 - the EM-1 Mkii AF is night and day compared to the the EM-5 MkII and presumably the EPL series.

By the way if I had to shoot a Canon or Nikon it would be an APSC reflex not a mirrorless

Those two companies are lagging on mirrorless and the stock of EF lenses out there is superb

I shoot EF topside but no desire to use such a large system underwater. 

22 minutes ago, Vondo said:

I shoot EF topside but no desire to use such a large system underwater. 

The housing of GH5/G9 is the same size of Canon APSC

Only Olympus and Panasonic GX series are smaller

1 hour ago, Interceptor121 said:

The housing of GH5/G9 is the same size of Canon APSC

Only Olympus and Panasonic GX series are smaller

And the EOS-M series, which is the same size or even a bit smaller than the OM-D 5 Mk3. Even with the EF-M to EF-S adapter for the 60mm macro lens, both the Nauticam and Ikelite systems use the same port or a similar sized one as the Olympus 60mm macro lens.

I'm not considering SLRs, APS-C SLRs. Maybe I should take a look at the GX9 too. 

But what I'm really interested in is someone's take on the handling of these various cameras.

12 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

The company has not gone away so hopefully will continue with the new owners - might see some rationalization - hopefully not impacting the quality.  For instance do they really need EM-1, 5 and 10 series?  .  I do agree though the EM-1 MkII is an amazing little camera.

On the upgrade path don't forget that the bigger sensor means bigger domes for rectilinear lenses.   It's not just about the camera - it's about the whole system including lens availability.  I don't know how the Canon macro options focus on the M6 - the EM-1 Mkii AF is night and day compared to the the EM-5 MkII and presumably the EPL series.

Thanks. Yeah, the focus on the EPL-5 is pretty bad. Pure contrast focus. As I understand it the Olympus has phase detect sensors at certain points in the camera sensor. The Canon M6 Mk3 has a full phase detect sensor (every pixel is doubled). I haven't seen head to head comparisons, but from what I understand it performs quite well.

I'm not considering the EM-1 series, but the latest EM-5.

Hopefully Panasonic will take up some of the slack and make some vert stills focused M43 bodies. 

23 minutes ago, Alex_Mustard said:

Hopefully Panasonic will take up some of the slack and make some vert stills focused M43 bodies. 

I have a Panasonic G9 and it is a great camera for stills. Funny enough I also have an OMD EM1 MKII 

As I use those for land (underwater I have a GH5) I decided to sell the G9 also because the housing are APSC size and expensive at £2500+. I found second hand but he has a 45 degrees viewfinder and I have an allergy to those

Olympus instead had nice housing at £1,700 range and am looking for a second hand as this is a more cost effective option

Panasonic does not have patents for on sensor phase difference autofocus, now I am not really advocating this underwater I have been shooting without and I don't throw away shots for focus, however using the EM1 MKII on small birds is just better

The smaller Panasonic GX series are a good option but EM1 / EM5 latest generation are superior

Why private equity business is to buy a company and then sell it at higher value they do not stick to assets unless they don't find a buyer

in which case they either continue or shut it down

I’m saddened as Olympus has long developed innovative tech, and I love its ecosystem specifically for macro and long telephoto.  But my cameras and lenses didn’t stop working when they made the announcement, so I’ll keep using them until they do, hopefully a long time from now.  I’ll also pick up a spare camera body and the remaining Pro lens that I don’t ready own when people start dumping them, maybe even at a discount!  

9 hours ago, troporobo said:

I’m saddened as Olympus has long developed innovative tech, and I love its ecosystem specifically for macro and long telephoto.  But my cameras and lenses didn’t stop working when they made the announcement, so I’ll keep using them until they do, hopefully a long time from now.  I’ll also pick up a spare camera body and the remaining Pro lens that I don’t ready own when people start dumping them, maybe even at a discount!  

Olympus is not investing anything in cameras since the launch of OMD EM1 MKII. They have been shutting down factories and cutting costs already. They did not have the capabilities to develop an hybrid camera that could take good video, a strength of MFT and focussed head on with DSLR for wildlife. Now it is clear that for landscape nothing can beat larger sensors is just the physics but for wildlife their body is excellent the hitrate on small birds in flight is phenomenal. However I am not following you when you talk about tele lenses

Here is where they really lack majority of wildlife shooters buy a Panasonic 100-400mm a lens that may not be the best but costs half of the Olympus 300mm prime.

Olympus has made some really awkward choices of lenses that have done nothing for their bodies. Who needs f.4 constant aperture on MFT for a mid range zoom? They do not cover the classic 100-400 with a 50-200mm lens and have a 45-150 that needs a teleconverter

All those weird choices combined with extremely high prices did not help their pursuit of being n1 in wildlife

Looking at the wide range who needs an 1.8 fisheye or a massive lens for 7-14mm wide costing £1,000 when you can get a laowa or samyang or even a panasonic

I believe Olympus got a bit lost and too narrow focussed loosing touch with the needs of the consumers. The results is a very loyal but TINY user base and in this world you need volumes

I am confident that with Sony making sensor and brands like BMD, ZCAM coming in to push Panasonic on video MFT will continue however the trend of Canon and Nikon and also sony to push full frame will eventually kill any form of crop while they try to protect their market share of premium products. Underwater photography is in the bulk a cropped format market so we have reasons to be concerned

I agree about some peculiar choices, that is for sure.  I believe the attempt to compete higher up the food chain is probably what killed them.  I don’t agree that they stopped investing 3 years ago, as the EM-1x (and trickledown tech to the EM1 mk III) and the forthcoming 100-400 lens will show, but most m4/3 users were never going to go there with them.  

Regarding telephoto, I was referring to the combination of 7.5 stop in-body image stabilization, 2x crop factor, and relatively smaller lenses.  I don’t know about others, but I cannot hand hold a DSLR at 1200mm equivalent but I can do it with the Oly 300mm lens and 2x teleconverter and get sharp images.  

• Like 1

I use an EM1 for bird photography and EM5 for diving. I enjoy both and see no immediate reason to change. I catch up with a Nikon guy sometimes on a  local lake and his gear weighs a ton and he cannot hand hold it. He was amazed that I could hand hold a 600m equivalent lens also that I was considering a 1200mm which could also be hand held. I agree with the poster above that Oly lost the plot when it came to lenses but I own all I need for my diving but I was looking forward to the 400mm prime that is coming out this year.

I bought a Nikon D800 to try out FF  and was disappointed, I expected a solid jump in image quality, there was nothing I could detect in terms of improved image quality, so I sold it after 3 months.

'Nowhere to go, nothing to do' is my current mantra regarding my Oly gear.

I agree about some peculiar choices, that is for sure.  I believe the attempt to compete higher up the food chain is probably what killed them.  I don’t agree that they stopped investing 3 years ago, as the EM-1x (and trickledown tech to the EM1 mk III) and the forthcoming 100-400 lens will show, but most m4/3 users were never going to go there with them.  

Regarding telephoto, I was referring to the combination of 7.5 stop in-body image stabilization, 2x crop factor, and relatively smaller lenses.  I don’t know about others, but I cannot hand hold a DSLR at 1200mm equivalent but I can do it with the Oly 300mm lens and 2x teleconverter and get sharp images.  
When I say they stop investing I am referring to their data. I 2018 they restructured their manufacturing base and closed several plants. All production is now in Vietnam that is even less expensive than china. Looking at their financial reports that are extra costs in 2019-2020 financial year due to those closure and redundancies
So am not making this up its written black and white
I believe after that there has been a stagnation of MFT sensor performance the current Sony made sensor hasn't got lots of room for improvement unless it goes on back illumination like sony exmoor. It's possible sony want to keep that for themselves not sure
The latest installment of EM1 and EM5 as consequence are not such a leap and in fact measurements suggest the EM1 MKII is the most performing camera ever made yet
MKIII added a joystick that is taken from Panasonic, a starry function to take astro - nobody uses autofocus for stars, and an ND filter that is achieved digitally nothing to call your mama for
EM1X there will be people raving for it but what happened to the MFT manifesto to keep things small and who spends that amount of money on a MFT camera anyway? What about EPL series?
There are some real questions seems that Olympus corporation got the wrong angle of performance improvement and hurt their brand even further in the last 3 years
I have recently got an EM1 MKII for birds as for vivid have been confined at home this camera does better than any DSLR in virtue of being MFT and Olympus AF what would have been beneficial were two UHS-II slots but this was not accomplished in the III that makes you wonder

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

All agreed, especially on the EM-1x.  I really enjoy my EM-1 mk II on land and underwater so I’ll pick up a spare body as cheap insurance and to ensure I can keep using my current housing. By the time that’s all obsolete, who knows what new tech will arrive? I’m sure an upgrade will be irresistible in due course, it just won’t be from Olympus 

Difficult times come for underwater photography.

Compact cameras with long zoom and interchangeable ports, uncertain future with Olympus cameras, fullframe cameras with large and heavy lenses and very expensive underwater housings and very expensive cameras.

Olympus OMD EM10 / EM5 / EM1 is a very good choice for underwater photography and proves to be a good option for those looking for good image quality and small size.

Edited by turandot

4 hours ago, turandot said:

Difficult times come for underwater photography.

Compact cameras with long zoom and interchangeable ports, uncertain future with Olympus cameras, fullframe cameras with large and heavy lenses and very expensive underwater housings and very expensive cameras.

Olympus OMD EM10 / EM5 / EM1 is a very good choice for underwater photography and proves to be a good option for those looking for good image quality and small size.

There still is the Panasonic GX series that is small but even the G and GH Panasonic housings are expensive as the cameras are APSC size. Underwater photography is for most a cropped sensor game APSC being primary. Let's hope we are left with enough choice

Sponsors

Advertisements