dandyrandy

covid travel restrictions.

Getting tired of diving in the pool, are restrictions slowly lifting in places like Mexico or other recommended destinations?

Open ended question - really depends on where you are from - if there's Covid active there still likelihood of travel is low realistically.  There's no diving local to you?

The way this is going, you might just be glad you have a pool!

Parts of the Caribbean are opening up (as are the Bahamas). French Polynesia is also opening up on July 15th. Hawaii is also opening up for external visitors starting at the beginning of August.

The bigger question isn't where will you be able to dive, but rather - are you really willing to sit on a plane with a bunch of other people for numerous hours, risking infection from people you don't know?

Doc friend of mine has seen severe scarring of the lungs in several (younger, <45 yrs old) patients that were hospitalized. Risk getting infected now and you might not be able to dive for months (if not years).

That and in many dive destinations I suspect travelers from Australia, NZ, Korea etc. will be welcomed but from the US (at the moment) not so much.

Bill

I got out diving yesterday locally in Buffalo, NY in the Niagara River. It was really, really nice.

Ok, it was not the Bahamas, Cozumel, Bonaire or some exotic faraway location. But it was wet, clear, and some of the best local diving I've done in many years. We saw tons of muskies, walleye and even sturgeon (4 different sitings in three 30-minute dives). The vis was outstanding for us, 30+ feet. It was a little cool at 70 degrees but my 5-mil semi-dry gave me relative comfort for over an hour and a half of bottom time.

Bottom line: if you have local diving available, give it a try. Dive shops can give recommendations if you don't have any favorites. Get wet!

Diving in Lake Mead is not my idea of great diving when it's 110 air temp and 60 water temp, okay for checking gear as long as you don't drop anything into the mud. There are some areas but vis is usually not too good especially with algae bloom.

Sponsors

Advertisements