domromer

How often to clean orings

HI,

I clean and lubricate mine at each battery change.

as for the housing, I inspect it and clean it before every trip,  or at the end of the day when diving for multiple days.

I clean them every time I break a seal.

I had Z240's for years.  Never used the non-optical connection so never opened it.

Using Z330 now and its the same for me.

Same for the camera housing I use.

If you handle orings too much they will stretch out over time and fail.  I lightly lube the Inon rings before resealing but only occasionally remove them from their slots and clean.  

Edited by davehicks

There's lot of at times contradictory advice on this thread and again I emphasise that the answer is it depends on a lot of variables including:

• design of the o-ring closure is it a flat face sealing surface with no sliding or is it a screw on cap or a push in cap?
  • does the closure retain water?
  • how dirty is the water - is there stirred up grit
  • Are you shore diving and entering and exiting where there is swell to deal with and it is stirring up the water?

I have INONs and clean the o-ring at every battery change and I usually find some hairs and grit on them.  I always find big drops of water clinging to the o-ring which I feel I need to remove and the water is always behind the o-ring as well.  I've been diving these strobes for 5 year on the original o-rings.  The water that is retained is still salty even after a 2 hour soak! 

My Nauticam housing is a clamshell design and there are always drops of water on the o-ring and around the sealing surface of the housing side .  I clean and inspect the o-ring, the groove and the sealing surface every time it's opened and regularly find grit and hairs.  Still using the original o-ring after 3 years of diving.

My dive torches are INON, they do not retain water in the closure, there is never any water or debris on the o-rings, so they get removed maybe once a year.  and only inspected for debris at each battery change.

I can see how a flat face seal where the o-ring is not lubricated can stay in place for much longer if diving in cleaner waters particularly - just dry it off and give it a quick brush or blast with a blower bulb.  I get that o-rings stretch but my experience is that with careful handling they last for a great many dives and battery changes if cleaned at every opening.  This may vary depending upon the type of o-ring - silicone rubber may well last longer before giving a problem than regular black rubber.

My recommendation - start out cleaning them fully at each opening to see if your combination of housing design and diving environment gets water and/or dirt on the o-rings you need to deal with before closing them up again  then decide on cleaning frequency based upon your experience.  If you are worried about stretching your o-rings replace them every year or two - relatively cheap insurance.

I do mine each time I change the batteries - most of the time! Sometimes I just skip it change batteries and go again. But no matter what I clean and add a dash of grease at the end of each day.

Posted (edited)

I clean/inspect every time I change a battery or swap a memory card.  Try to do it in a dry/clean environment.  I prefer not to do this around the dive deck, but it's not always possible to take the gear back to myroom on some live-a-boards.  I use a small flashlight to look over the oring channel to make sure I didn't miss a spec of sand or hair.  I rotate through memory cards 1 card per day.  Minimizes the risk of loosing all photos in the event of a flood or memory card failure.  I also change out all orings 1x per year.

Knock-on-wood... No floods to date. (Sony RX100 M2, Nauticam NA-RX100, YS-D1)

Edited by Eric Straumins

Sponsors

Advertisements