Sign in to follow this  
adamhanlon

Wetpixel Live: What is Happening to the Digital Camera Market?

I posted a "sneak preview" of this episode earlier, but here is the announcement of our next Wetpixel Live discussion.

The digital camera industry has gone through some profound changes over the past few years. The proliferation of mobile devices with very adequate imaging functions has caused the market to contract significantly. Alex Mustard and Adam Hanlon discuss these profound effects on Wetpixel Live, particularly with reference as to how this will affect underwater Photographers.

Wetpixel Live is a channel devoted to discussing hard-edged technical information and providing practical advice aimed at helping people create memorable images.

If you are enjoying Wetpixel Live, please subscribe to the channel and you will get notifications about new episodes as they are released. Please feel free to let us know if you would like any specific topics to be covered in future episodes. 

Interesting topic, I just finished watching and well worth the time. Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

With the new Nikon strategy of low cost full frame cameras APSC risks of being extinct if it wasn't for mirrorless from Canon and Sony

With the recent issues at Olympus I wonder if Panasonic will follow and long term we will only have mirrorless full frame cameras

It would be a shame as APSC and MFT have the best efficiency but may fall victim of the mobile phone syndrome

• Like 1

I think both Nikon and Canon have already signaled that their future is mirrorless. The only question is - how long do they maintain a pro line of DSLRs for professionals? The Olympics next year and the World Cup in 2022 will provide an interesting view into the pace at which this transition may/may not happen.

2 hours ago, oneyellowtang said:

I think both Nikon and Canon have already signaled that their future is mirrorless. The only question is - how long do they maintain a pro line of DSLRs for professionals? The Olympics next year and the World Cup in 2022 will provide an interesting view into the pace at which this transition may/may not happen.

There are no doubts on mirrorless Canon latest 1DX Mark III is officially the last DSLR pro camera they will make. My comment is more about manufacturers positioning full frame as more entry level and therefore eliminating crop format in the process

Cropped sensor have better efficiency and faster read rates. This is one of the reasons today professional video is still Super35 that is APSC. It could be that crop remains a video business while photos are full frame only. That would not be a good outcome for underwater photography and portability in general

While Olympus quitting gives pretty bad publicity for MFT right now, I think in the long run Panasonic could profit as many Olympus photographers might just switch over to Panasonic because of the value of a smaller system. I already use panasonic topside and only use Olympus because I got the housing cheap.

I think Panasonic will keep running two systems. Their FF is huge and I think the reason is, that they think that anyone who doesn‘t like the size can just get a GH5. I am curious what they will announce in the coming months.

Thanks for that gents. Interesting talk.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements