Sign in to follow this  
Dutch_Diver

Olympus 12-45 F4 suitable for UW photograhy?

I might be looking in the wrong places, but I haven't been able to locate reviews about the fairly new Olympus 12-45 F4. Reviews for underwater use that is.

If the lens has been reviewed, can you point in the right direction?

I'm curious to know how much you would lose (in practical terms) at the wide end, compared to the existing 9-18mm lens. And as the lens appear quite a bit bigger (longer) than the 14-42 kit lens, whether port extension are needed (likely) & available (unknown). I'm using a Olympus PEN housing with the Zen WA-100-EP port. Zen does sell an extension ring, but that's specific for the 60mm macro lens.

If the loss of wide angle is acceptable, this one might be a good replacement for both the 9-18 and kit lens in one handy package! And so I'm a bit surprised that this lens isn't getting more attention.

Thanks for your insights!

This lens is nothing exciting but surely more compact than the 12-40 pro

In terms of compatibility you need to work out a zoom gear first of all. Until then there is no point bothering with ports and extension

Considering the uncertain future of Olympus we need to see if anybody will bother investigating more their range there are already so many ports on the market

In terms of fov compared to 9mm the difference is substantial 84 vs 100 degrees

I'm intrigued by this lens for underwater use.  Here's why:  I currently shoot an M1 with a 170mm Inon dome.  With a 2" extension, that dome works with the Panasonic 8-18, Olympus 12-40, and Olympus 7-14 2.8.  Possibly more, but those are what I can personally confirm.  When I remove the 2" extension, the Olympus 8mm works great.  My thinking is that the the 12-45 may- possibly-might just work in the dome without the extension as well.  IF that also holds true for the upcoming 8-25 Olympus lens, then that could simplify travel and reduce monkeying around with my port.  There's no need for f2.8 underwater, and the price really isn't that bad.  For the OP, the 12-45 would give them the ability to shoot a Pro zoom lens in a Pen-style housing.  As far as a zoom gear, I suggest reaching out to Deepshots to see if they have anything on the horizon.

No reason it wouldn't work well, it's reported to be quite sharp throughout zoom range, max magnification of 0.25x compared to the 12-40 at 0.3x and similar close focus distance - 23cm vs the 12-40 at 20cm.  The missing part is the zoom gear - you could always get one custom made.

Regarding INON ports and extensions the 12-45 is 70 long x 63 and the 12-40 is 84 x 70, so it's 14mm shorter, assuming similar construction the entrance pupil is probably in a similar position so likely needs about 35mm of extension in the sample quoted rather than 50mm.  it may work sub-optimally with none but the lens extends when it zooms so quite possibly would hit the dome.  I know my 12-40 comes very close to the dome at max zoom.

On the question for the Zen port on a PEN housing, in Nauticam the 14-42 lenses and 9-18 both use the 4"wide angle port - same extension.  And with the 180mm dome port Nauticam specifies the same extension for the 12-40 and 9-18.  The extension is specified based on the wide end, so likely is close to what is needed - but would need to be tested to be sure.

The problem may you run into is that 9-18 is 77mm long in operation and doesn't change length much, the Zen port is very shallow glass and to me looks quite close to the lens inside.  I can't find dimensions of the zoomed in lens but scaling a photo makes it look to be about 100mm long zoomed in to 45mm.    Do you have 30mm space between the 9-18 lens front element and the dome?  you would need that much space  to make use of the maximum zoom.  You may need some extension to allow zooming but that may cause the lens to vignette wide.

Thanks for the responses!
From the looks of it, there might just be enough room before the front element would hit the glass. But it would be too close for comfort.

Zen does offer an extension ring to accomodate macro lenses with their domes; that might be an idea; though that would limit the lens even more on the wide end; reducing the advantage over the 14-42 kit lens. So probably it's a dead end idea. Let's invest in more strobe power before looking into better lenses :huh:

Still it would be interesting to see a review; maybe it would fit the Nauticam 4inch port. I'm currently using an Olympus own housing but for the next "step upwards" I'm looking at Nauticam OM-D setup.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements