dpoursanidis

MOISTURE AND VACUUM SENSOR SYSTEM - red light

Hi WetPixelers

I am a happy onwer of Aquatica housing for 70D equiped with the MOISTURE AND VACUUM SENSOR SYSTEM (http://www.aquatica.ca/en/accessories_surveyor.html).

So far, it has more than 50 dives with no issues.

Some days ago, after the end of the dive and the entry to the boat, the sensor start to blink red and the audible signal start.

The camera and strobes work fine but the alarm was on.

At the port, i open it an find 1 drop of water (!) at the lower part of the housing with no visible entry point.

At home, i clean everything, remove the battery from the sensor system and after some hour i reposition and the system continue to flash red and the audible voice is on.

Today, again i replace the battery and still the same behavior (here a video red lights).

What i need to do? Reset the system with jumpers?

Any idea also in what can cause a water drop inside the housing after the dive?

Looking foward

Dimitris

Edited by dpoursanidis

The moisture sensor is a conductivity sensor and will alarm if a current flows between the two wires and it will alarm if you lick your finger and touch the electrodes..  If you had a drop of I assume saltwater in there that caused the alarm it may not be dry - if there is salt residue it may draw in moisture, you may need to clean off the wires in the sensorand dry them.  I don't know exactly what the Aqutica wires look like, typically it is two wires held close but not touching by a plastic sleeve.  If the wires touch or there is a damp area between them the alarm will sound.

I would suggest giving the area a thorough clean and dry it out - rinse with fresh water followed by drying and a dip in isopropy; alchohol to dry it out may help.  Examine the two wires closely to confirm they do not touch each other,

As far as how the drop got in - multiple paths exist _ I assume you had a vacuum active on the housing at the time?  pressing a button with a not so good o-ring or applying a bending force to the port to allow the o-ring to lift may let in a drop?

Pulling a vacuum and monitoring for an extended period is my suggestion.  Try the various buttons to see if they generate a leak - pull on the port gently etc.  waiting for a few minutes after each trial. 

1 hour ago, dpoursanidis said:

Hi WetPixelers

I am a happy onwer of Aquatica housing for 70D equiped with the MOISTURE AND VACUUM SENSOR SYSTEM (http://www.aquatica.ca/en/accessories_surveyor.html).

So far, it has more than 50 dives with no issues.

Some days ago, after the end of the dive and the entry to the boat, the sensor start to blink red and the audible signal start.

The camera and strobes work fine but the alarm was on.

At the port, i open it an find 1 drop of water (!) at the lower part of the housing with no visible entry point.

At home, i clean everything, remove the battery from the sensor system and after some hour i reposition and the system continue to flash red and the audible voice is on.

Today, again i replace the battery and still the same behavior (here a video red lights).

What i need to do? Reset the system with jumpers?

Any idea also in what can cause a water drop inside the housing after the dive?

Looking foward

Dimitris

I had a similar problem with the moisture sensor of Nauticam EM5II and EM1II housings, when humidity was high (e.g. in the cabin of a safari boat or while assembling the housing on a rainday in tropical regions). The only durable solution I found out was to clip of one of the wires of the moisture sensor - the vacuum warning is still intact and I regard this much more reliable and important than the moisture alarm (that is often a false one)...

Wolfgang

Hi again Dimitry,

Here is a link to a similar topic (with further links):

It seems false positive moisture alarm is common (but it also may be an almost empty battery)...

But Cave: these reports are on Nauticam moisture alarm/vacuum leak issues. It may well be that the Aquatic system is different and when you disable the moisture sensor the entire system may not work any more!!

Wolfgang

Sponsors

Advertisements